Another one bites the dust: 95 Explosif

gibbleking":1xii9t24 said:
looks lie corrosion at the boss started the crack and the daily stresses finished it off....oooof..

To me it looks like someone has over tightened a bottle cage bolt. That created a stress fracture that accelerated due to said use of frame and the environmental conditions it was exposed to.

Whilst these frames are wafer thin, they are super, super strong.

al-onestare":22irqdjz said:
gibbleking":22irqdjz said:
looks lie corrosion at the boss started the crack and the daily stresses finished it off....oooof..

To me it looks like someone has over tightened a bottle cage bolt. That created a stress fracture that accelerated due to said use of frame and the environmental conditions it was exposed to.

It's unlikely to be overtightening unless the cage rests against the tube, not the boss. If the cage rests against the boss, overtightening will just strip the thread, it has no effect on the frame. If anything, bolts that are too loose will cause the cage and bosses to wobble in the frame hole, fatiguing the frame. Probably does not compare to pedalling and road stresses though.

Re:

Worth saving? I wonder what it would cost for a new down 'toob' :cool:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N76mYFAwgM[/youtube]

TheAntsPants":3fhlexbj said:
al-onestare":3fhlexbj said:
gibbleking":3fhlexbj said:

It's unlikely to be overtightening unless the cage rests against the tube, not the boss. If the cage rests against the boss, overtightening will just strip the thread, it has no effect on the frame. If anything, bolts that are too loose will cause the cage and bosses to wobble in the frame hole, fatiguing the frame. Probably does not compare to pedalling and road stresses though.

Absolutely. Perhaps it's just me but that particular boss looks indented. Maybe it was whacked with something if it wasn't overtightened.

Hey AntsPants - thanks for your DM - don't think I've posted enough to be able to answer! I'm really just looking out for a steel Kona, not too fussed about the vintage although the 90s ones are definitely coolest. I'm 6'2" so a 20" or bigger would be nice.

The pic is my 2000s Explosif with Pace RC39s (so out of the scope of this forum) which was nicked out of the basement of my office in London. Still hurts :cry:

Attachments

• 2643760426_315e5f8b2c_c.jpg
    2643760426_315e5f8b2c_c.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 261
moonlite":1u9inhdf said:
Hey AntsPants - thanks for your DM - don't think I've posted enough to be able to answer! I'm really just looking out for a steel Kona, not too fussed about the vintage although the 90s ones are definitely coolest. I'm 6'2" so a 20" or bigger would be nice.

The pic is my 2000s Explosif with Pace RC39s (so out of the scope of this forum) which was nicked out of the basement of my office in London. Still hurts :cry:
Worth sticking something in the Wanted section. The fabled Explosif stash eludes my search too but if I come across anything, I'll let you know. I'm after 18"ers.

Good to know there are other RBers in the 'hood! :cool:

Back