Another GT Zaskar LE...Update 11-Sept

Smithjss70

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I finally got this frame cabled up so it's a wrap, for now. It's dressed in M900 but I wanted to reflect back on the old Grip Shifting days and see if I still feel the same way about it. I had some NOS X-Ray 800 8spd grips so I went for it. I had Pauls available from another delayed build and always liked them so opted for these over Shimano. The decals are much too early for this 97 (0896xxxx) but I always liked the neon with the BB finish so that's where I landed.

Everything is pretty great with the build with the exception of the rear shifting into the high gear which may be the 1:1 vs 1:2 actuation (Sram to Shimano respectively). For now I assume that is the culprit but shifting to the small ring is poor, has jumped with me a couple of times and isn't stacking well. FM shifting is super fluid and efficient however.

I may play around with the cable routing and the derailleur travel as suggested by Sheldon Brown and see if I can sort it out. If not, I'll swap them out with rapid fires which I'm somewhat regretting not doing in the first place. :D Oh well...

Glad to have a triple tri back in the line up and look forward to hammering on it this summer. I have some backup 230s laced to Bubbas for when the Spin comes out of true but for now, good times.

xKJVPx.jpg

bKdaM3.jpg

JJtzPQ.jpg

rSaCyZ.jpg

JMRG8F.jpg

oqQ4uf.jpg

gHifOC.jpg

Re: Another GT Zaskar LE

The xrays are shimano compatible. Your shifting problem seem to be related to the top and bottom end stops not adjusted right. Maybe ask Sheldon Brown for how to do that ;)
Short version: 2 tiny screws at the rear derailleur. One to prevent the chain to fall between the cassette and the spokes. The other one so the chain cant fall inbetween the casette and the dropout.

The bike looks very sleek. I like it. And I agree with you about the decals. I like them best. They go very well with a pair of racelines, too. ;)

Smithjss70":1t2eed0f said:
I finally got this frame cabled up so it's a wrap, for now. It's dressed in M900 but I wanted to reflect back on the old Grip Shifting days and see if I still feel the same way about it. I had some NOS X-Ray 800 8spd grips so I went for it. I had Pauls available from another delayed build and always liked them so opted for these over Shimano. The decals are much too early for this 97 (0896xxxx) but I always liked the neon with the BB finish so that's where I landed.

Everything is pretty great with the build with the exception of the rear shifting into the high gear which may be the 1:1 vs 1:2 actuation (Sram to Shimano respectively). For now I assume that is the culprit but shifting to the small ring is poor, has jumped with me a couple of times and isn't stacking well. FM shifting is super fluid and efficient however.

I may play around with the cable routing and the derailleur travel as suggested by Sheldon Brown and see if I can sort it out. If not, I'll swap them out with rapid fires which I'm somewhat regretting not doing in the first place. :D Oh well...

Glad to have a triple tri back in the line up and look forward to hammering on it this summer. I have some backup 230s laced to Bubbas for when the Spin comes out of true but for now, good times.

xKJVPx.jpg

bKdaM3.jpg

JJtzPQ.jpg

rSaCyZ.jpg

JMRG8F.jpg

oqQ4uf.jpg

gHifOC.jpg

Awesome build love the spinergy wheels but imo only look good on GT's wheels

Yep. These are Spins. I have some Spinergys but they are on my Mantra.

@ Thias - Thanks! I tweaked on the stops for a hour or so last night and it got better but not perfect. Granted I'm not a pro wrencher but am comfy with mechanicals. I think you're right though. I'm going to stretch everything out this weekend and then have my LBS mech take a peak. Agreed on the Racelines. Had been looking for some but ultimately lost patience. Thanks all!

Smithjss70":3h0xqpik said:
Yep. These are Spins. I have some Spinergys but they are on my Mantra.

@ Thias - Thanks! I tweaked on the stops for a hour or so last night and it got better but not perfect. Granted I'm not a pro wrencher but am comfy with mechanicals. I think you're right though. I'm going to stretch everything out this weekend and then have my LBS mech take a peak. Agreed on the Racelines. Had been looking for some but ultimately lost patience. Thanks all!
My phone put spinergy as was commenting on something else lol as for racelines there are a few on eBay at present and I've decided against them on my SUNN so I have a set that I may sell not 100% decided yet keep an eye on for sale

Re:

That is wicked. The parts arent to my taste if im honest but i think all the red ano really stands out and it looks great!! Ck headset in that rasta colour scheme is a nice touch :cool:

Id strip those graphics off though if i were you and get a new set. If anything they let the overall look of the bike down, Ive never understood why people buy those ebay sticker sets in flouro yellow. And the top tube graphic is wonky ;) Otherwise nicee build!

Sean

Back