And today I did......

Re:

Bought one of those Vertu Spyder saddles, one of those Chinese Tioga Spyder knock offs. Wasn't expecting much from it but at £10 delivered I thought why not as I'd seen a couple of positive reviews.

Fitted it today to my hybrid expecting it to be uncomfortable as it's basically a narrow plastic saddle with no padding. How wrong could I be, instant comfort, I am impressed !

The saddle basically works the same as a Brooks Cambium in that it flexes hammock style on its frame. It's however a tenth of the price and really lightweight. Only downsides are possible longevity issues as it does feel cheap but I could replace it several times and still spend less than one Cambium. Other issue is no padding on edgers so gripping saddle with thighs is not the most comfortable. Still amazing performance for the price :shock:

Mind and wear your plastics pants if it rains though :LOL:

I specced a Cambium on my Saffron and was so impressed that I asked Santa for one for my road bike. Like you say though, they are pricey for a saddle and very heavy. Sounds like you had a good result for £10. I think the cheap feel is probably due to perception of the material rather than any issues. We’re always told sturdy last and flexy is cheap, but in this case it’s designed that way.
Old Skool Flites were the same theory. Everyone though it was the ti rails, but really it was the very thin shell flexing, so very comfy despite minimal padding.

How you getting on with your search for a comfy grip?

Re:

Got some basic rubber grips that flare out under the palm, basically an ergo type knock-off but they are comfy without being too soft. Also got some Specialized body geometry used ones some time back so I knew what I was after. The wide sort of pistol grip shape really does work but I suspect that there must be drawbacks otherwise everyone would use them.

I rode a few miles with Epicyclo a couple years past on a bike he loaned me with a Cambium seat. My goodness it was comfy but It was way out my price range. Very pleased these Spyder saddles have appeared.
The really weird mantis saddle though I have not gelled with. It's very clever but too radically different and set up is constant guesswork. Glad I tried it though and might revisit later.

Just bought a 98 spesh fsr comp, it’s gonna get the full stx-rc treatment so me and the mechanic are pulling it apart :LOL:

Attachments

• 57D8A7FC-330B-4CC6-80BB-8C833A40D75B.jpeg
    57D8A7FC-330B-4CC6-80BB-8C833A40D75B.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 824
Back