And this is why i still use royal mail!

Hermes is supposed to be delivering me a parcel, it was supposed to be here yesterday.......

Computer says" hummm, delivery driver had a problem finding your address".

Really, its only been here, ooh errr, 300 years......

Oh, and the road is named after the house....

Wow, just wow.

I had a Yodel notification for a delivery a week last Friday, this failed to arrive with no explanation or other online tracking info except that it was loaded onto the van for delivery. Saturday gave another delivery notification and tracking showed it onto the van. By 1130am it changed to "we cannot deliver for some reason" Monday fave no notification or tracking but the parcel arrived via someone in a car that dumped the parcel by the door and fled. I always use RM or PF.

By way of contrast, last Tuesday lunchtime, at a local Post Office in Kent, I posted some grips to a fellow RB member. On Wednesday, he had them, in Edinburgh. No fuss, no bother, no bull.

I have always used royal mail until this Friday 🤬

Booked Hermes to collect a Frame from Work, at 6 still no collection, got an email when I got home saying they were unable to collect, re-arranged for Saturday and the same again 🤬

Ill try once more then it complaining time !

They are all as bad as each other in reality, the only thing you need to consider when deciding which to use/trust is which offers the best compensation in case it goes missing.

A reason some are cheaper is they offer limited compensation, when you start paying for the extra cover it no longer becomes the cheaper option, also Royal Mail loose a lot more parcels/letters than any other carrier, just something to think on and to balance it out. The last normal year, before the current mess, they paid out over £4M in compensation for lost parcels. In 2020 they acknowledged over 15M letters, yes Million, were lost :)

They are all as bad as each other in reality, the only thing you need to consider when deciding which to use/trust is which offers the best compensation in case it goes missing.

A reason some are cheaper is they offer limited compensation, when you start paying for the extra cover it no longer becomes the cheaper option, also Royal Mail loose a lot more parcels/letters than any other carrier, just something to think on and to balance it out. The last normal year, before the current mess, they paid out over £4M in compensation for lost parcels. In 2020 they acknowledged over 15M letters, yes Million, were lost :)
Royal Mail might lose more parcels and letters but is that because they have more to deliver? Or is that 'more' as a percentage?

Royal Mail might lose more parcels and letters but is that because they have more to deliver? Or is that 'more' as a percentage?

Yes, i imagine they handle a lot more, and not sure on percentages compared to others tbh. I just find the figures quite staggering, where do they all go?

I also use RM simply because they actually employ the delivery drivers, with fairly terms and conditions, sick pay holiday pay, recognition of unions etc.
DPD, UPS and TNT are all on owner/driver 'worker' contracts, which are better than the gig economy piece work of Hermes, but still not a bona-fide employee.

Some idea of the scale of operations:

Hermes' parcel traffic is around 1/3 that of RM. Hermes delivered 630 million parcels in 2020. (Reference)

Royal Mail delivered 1.8 billion parcels and 9.5 billion letters in 2020.
God knows where they end up, but 15,000,000 letters is 'only' 0.0157% of volume; 1 lost for every 632 letters delivered.

Screenshot 2021-09-27 154727.jpg

All the best,

I could almost forgive Hermes if they hadn't failed to collect the parcel after 3 attempts, surely that's the easy part :mad:

Back