An Orange origin story

What’s the headtube diameter. The Vitamin t had either 1" or 1/1/8"

Great looking frame btw😎

Last edited:
Yeah thanks it is for an EC 34 headset, which caught me off guard slightly as I had assumed it was for a 1" fork.
I'm currently deciding which headset I want to go for, possibly a Chris King or something and whether I want it blue or a plainer black or silver.

I've been a little busy with work etc, but this is the initial build plans;

Frame: '93 Orange Vitamin T 17"
Fork: Pace RC 35 MXCD
Stem: Controltech 90mm or Azonic or another 90mm or shorter stem (I will see what i get on with)
Headset: Chris King (Probably)
Handlebar: Controltech flat 570mm or Ritchey riser 670mm
Brakes: Magura HS33
Shifters: XT Thumbshifters
Front Derailleur: XT
Rear Derailleur: XT
Cranks: Middleburn RS7s (I've owned these for nearly the last 20 years) 2x
Pedals: ? haven't decided
Hub Skewers: Blue Controltech or similar
Rims: Mavic 121 SUP (wider and hopefully stronger than the 217 sups i used to taco)
Hubs: Hope Ti Blue
Tyres: Panaracer Dart & Smoke
Tubes: latex?
Saddle: Flite -what else?
Seatpost: Controltech
Seatpost Binder: Controltech or similar
Weight: sub 24lbs hopefully

I've signed myself up to race it in the Malvern Classic Retro race, so I guess better get it built by then!

Last edited:
20210615_124611.jpg
I found an "original" part from the Prestige!
If I fit it to the new bike, by the laws of Triggers broom it is basically the Prestige.

That is def contemporary Control Tech

Right....you can build from there.

Some classic resto Ferrari’s have started with less....

That's such a nice build. I understand 'factory builds' but I also very much like 'best of period' builds - which replicates very much what we were doing with bikes at the time. What you have there is the kind of build we would end with after two summers of riding and two winters of upgrading. The Middleburns look wonderful on that frame.

Rules to live by right there, @2manyoranges!

"Two summers of riding and two winters of upgrading."

That perfectly empsulates my favorite types of build.

And yeah, this one definitely has that vibe!

That's such a nice build. I understand 'factory builds' but I also very much like 'best of period' builds - which replicates very much what we were doing with bikes at the time. What you have there is the kind of build we would end with after two summers of riding and two winters of upgrading. The Middleburns look wonderful on that frame.
Thanks, yeah, its definitely a build I would have ridden back in the day (if I wasn't a broke teenager).
I never kept anything standard for long, parts either broke or just got upgraded when I could afford them.

Back