An FSX Inspired 1994 Specialized S-Works M2 (Finished pics page... 16!)

Ps - looking at their pics, drive side pedal doesn’t look threaded all the way in, whilst surely it must be!! And re the rear brake seat cable, on mine I run the cable shorter under and around the QR as what I thought was a straighter less cable resistant line, might help with the rear brake topic. But go with whatever you prefer obvs.

It's not fully screwed in at all, so it's either been left unchecked which is the cause of the threads pulling out, or they've cross threaded it, which is the cause of the threads pulling out 🤦‍♂️
Either way I'd not be using them again if I were you!

And I second that about the rear cable outer, I run mine under the quick release too.👌

It's not fully screwed in at all, so it's either been left unchecked which is the cause of the threads pulling out, or they've cross threaded it, which is the cause of the threads pulling out 🤦‍♂️
Either way I'd not be using them again if I were you!

And I second that about the rear cable outer, I run mine under the quick release too.👌
So tempted to write that on their Instagram:- ‘I’d check that pedal before handing it over to the client for fear of it potentially ripping out going up something like Marin mountain & the cable outer writing is also upside down 🤪 …like they had one job and instead took pretty pics ! Suppose hard to blame them though 🥺

Rest of their Insta feed looks like nice enough people. But guess things like this make everyone do more and more of their own work. I’m still weary about leaving my 121 ceramics for re build at LBS for fear of them disappearing 😱

Last edited:
…like they had one job and instead took pretty pics !

But guess things like this make everyone do more and more of their own work.
Yarp....

Yeah, it's definitely a weird one.

I'd thought the same thing on that pedal photo too, so I'm glad you guys have confirmed that. And although it's not their fault I had made a rush and rubbish job of putting them on originally, it is a bit of a shame they didn't clock it. The whole reason for taking it in was because I didn't have the confidence in my own abilities and wanted someone else to cast their expert eye over things!

Anyway, the shop is run by really nice people, and I do appreciate them for what they are and the service they provide. I just wish I could say the bike was dialed in perfectly and a dream to ride, but unfortunately that's not yet the case. Maybe it's the state of the parts, or maybe it's the build? Anyway, I think next time I'll try to take little longer with the build myself before handing it over to a shop, or maybe utilize the Bike Kitchen more, which I talked about earlier in this thread. Be good to fill in some more of the blanks in my lack of mechanical skill!

Jesus. Bit of an essay, eh?

PS. I already flipped that cable housing around the right way (the text being upside down was bothering me too!), but I may go ahead and take both of your advices to shorten and reroute it as well.

PPS. The evening of fettling (adjusting pad placement, angles, straddle cable, Etc.,) left me with a much more responsive brake. It still doesn't work for shit mind you! It feels better when you hit the lever. So back to the drawing board/bike stand I go...

Last edited:
Next build, maybe try the gang on here. Admittedly you have to wade through a whole bunch of amusing banter, and sometimes you might feel a bit silly.
But if you can brass that out, there are a bunch of very clever very helpful dudes on here…

Somwhere….

Oh, don't get me wrong, this place has already saved my bacon on countless occasions (and rinsed my wallet)! I wouldn't have even been able to source what I needed, or bolt any of it on, without lurking, reading and asking a million annoying questions already.

But unless you fancy getting on FaceTime Peach, there comes a time in every man's life, when he's just alone with his thoughts, a spanner, and the infinitely reduced will to live...

; )

Last edited:
Oh, don't get me wrong, this place has already saved my bacon on countless occasions (and rinsed my wallet)! I wouldn't have even been able to source what I needed, or bolt any of it on, without lurking, reading and asking a million annoying questions already.

But unless you fancy getting on FaceTime Peach, there comes a time in every man's life, when he's just alone with his thoughts, a spanner, and the infinitely reduced will to live...

; )
Not the worst idea…
One thing I would suggest is if you have a particular problem or come across a component you have little or no experience with, post a separate thread, add a link to it in your main build thread to help with context (& visa versa)
In my experience the gang have never let me down & upon occasion have actually resorted to the ultimate RetroComs… a telephone!!!!!😁

I'm with them on the rear cable, but the front mech is also too high. The outer cage should be a few mm above the top rings teeth, the would put the rings at the correct place for shifting against the plates. (look at a the manuals for the front mech model).

I'd also run the rear brake wider, further out on the brake stud. These superlowprofile are generally designed around that. But check the manuals if you can find them.

Back