Am I being unreasonable?

Re:

ok so i just saw some more of the conversation that happened while i was posting my view on the subject.

Sinnerman, stop being antagonistic. :roll:

Re: Re:

jonnyboy666":8dc6lcr3 said:
ok so i just saw some more of the conversation that happened while i was posting my view on the subject.

Sinnerman, stop being antagonistic. :roll:

No Probs, you put far more eloquently one of the points i was trying to make. ;)

d8mok":yxwvzac2 said:
Did you buy it brand new in 2004? Still have the warranty card or receipt?

Have I missed where OP has answered my question?

Dependant on this is depandant on whether I side woth you personally.

Or is this question being avoided

6 pages... :facepalm: :roll:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfrvOEnoaCM[/youtube]

Pickaxe or Bearings.....

Peachy!":123e0t8r said:
6 pages... :facepalm: :roll:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfrvOEnoaCM[/youtube]

Pickaxe or Bearings.....

Boris Said Curfew is at 10pm. :LOL:

Coming back to this after a day out, still going strong :)

As far as the legal side of things goes, though that itself is subject to interpretation, a warranty can still be pursued through the new owners of a company. Also it is generally accepted now that lifetime is in relation to the lifetime of the product, which is defined as up to the end of production of that product, unless specified otherwise in the contract.

jonnyboy666":2m0l1l4w said:
i think this is a grey area odd one, i used to sell Marin bikes, at this time they were Jon Whyte designed (like the model being talked about) we did sell them telling people lifetime warranty on the bearings, back then they were designed in the UK (by jon whyte via ATB sales) for the original owner of Marin in the USA, i slightly odd arrangement really as a flag waving US company having their UK importer designing the bikes.

now when i was selling them it was so rare to have to replace the bearings, they genuinely are very good bearings that they fit.

now the biggest issues i see with the lifetime warranty on the bearings as i see it is that not only are the bikes not designed here anymore, Marin the company was sold, they no longer work with ATB sales and the bike is 16 years old.

what i would tell you is that if it was ATB sales still i bet they would honor the warranty, i always found them good to deal with and very customer focused.

but the truth is now you are asking a company that is not the company the bike was sold by to honor a warranty on a bike they never designed and never had anything to do with and therefore won't have parts for.

are you being unreasonable? no if it was the original set up (ATB sales and original Marin owner) but sort of yes bearing in mind it's a different company that effectively you are asking for something free from that they had nothing to do with.

that said, most people will not know the company/importer changed so therefore it's not necessarily an out of order thing to expect them to warranty something if you didn't know the company effectively changed hands etc.

but to be honest as well, at 16 years i'd just buy the bearings.

:)

An insightful and well balanced post. Have this pinned and lock the thread to save us from the man who keeps pissing himself.

al-onestare":anf8xw4u said:
jonnyboy666":anf8xw4u said:
i think this is a grey area odd one, i used to sell Marin bikes, at this time they were Jon Whyte designed (like the model being talked about) we did sell them telling people lifetime warranty on the bearings, back then they were designed in the UK (by jon whyte via ATB sales) for the original owner of Marin in the USA, i slightly odd arrangement really as a flag waving US company having their UK importer designing the bikes.

now when i was selling them it was so rare to have to replace the bearings, they genuinely are very good bearings that they fit.

now the biggest issues i see with the lifetime warranty on the bearings as i see it is that not only are the bikes not designed here anymore, Marin the company was sold, they no longer work with ATB sales and the bike is 16 years old.

what i would tell you is that if it was ATB sales still i bet they would honor the warranty, i always found them good to deal with and very customer focused.

but the truth is now you are asking a company that is not the company the bike was sold by to honor a warranty on a bike they never designed and never had anything to do with and therefore won't have parts for.

are you being unreasonable? no if it was the original set up (ATB sales and original Marin owner) but sort of yes bearing in mind it's a different company that effectively you are asking for something free from that they had nothing to do with.

that said, most people will not know the company/importer changed so therefore it's not necessarily an out of order thing to expect them to warranty something if you didn't know the company effectively changed hands etc.

but to be honest as well, at 16 years i'd just buy the bearings.

:)

An insightful and well balanced post. Have this pinned and lock the thread to save us from the man who keeps pissing himself.

I shouldnt worry too much, there's always a toilet close by... ;)

As promised I said I would update when Marin replied which they have.

They are now happy to help which is good :)

What did come out in the conversation was something that some alluded to, in that the definition of 'lifetime' is a very grey area:

'In the bicycle industry, a "lifetime warranty" refers to the lifetime of the bicycle, not the customer. Unfortunately a bike that is 14 years is getting close to the end of its "lifetime". '

I guess there are many people on here that must be riding bikes that are beyond the end of their 'lifetime' :LOL:

Back