Alpinestars al-mega headset bearings

n12ksb":162hnrwu said:
Brilliant, thanks very much for the help.
I'll certainly add some photos when its all up and running.

Any ideas on a value for these?
Thanks
Cool.
So much depends on its condition and the components fitted. Impossible to say without seeing pics. For a really tatty frame only, anything from £40-£60, a mint one, maybe double/treble that. Whole bike, from £100 to £350 with all the right bits in good condition I'd say, but it's like anything - it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
My last purchase was the '92 DX, one owner since new, mostly original parts, no pedals or tyres, VGC, cost me £200. The one before that was the '92 XT, somewhat used and tatty but perfectly rideable, full XT, original stem and forks, no pedals, £230.

Hi all.
I was hoping the bike was going to finished today by I found to major issues.

1) the rear shifter (Shimano Xt) is shot, the plastic cable holder is cracked and broken so it will not hold the cable in place.

2) the rear dropout, frame thread for the mech is pretty much gone! There is just enough to hold the mech on but I'm very cautious about how long it will last as it is.

Any help / ideas would be very much appreciated.
Thanks again
Nick

n12ksb":1p642elh said:
Hi all.
I was hoping the bike was going to finished today by I found to major issues.

1) the rear shifter (Shimano Xt) is shot, the plastic cable holder is cracked and broken so it will not hold the cable in place.

2) the rear dropout, frame thread for the mech is pretty much gone! There is just enough to hold the mech on but I'm very cautious about how long it will last as it is.

Any help / ideas would be very much appreciated.
Thanks again
Nick
This question recently cropped up on the Allinestars owners group on Facebook (see here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/7432906 ... 531820966/) with the following types recommended, although I have no personal experience or definite knowledge, but I believe this is as good as you're going to get for advice:
•Wheels Manufacturing #1
•Wheels Manufacturing #117
•Pilo D520
•Pilo D569
Apparently it's not just the screw holes you have to match but the offset too.
Good luck, hope this is of some help. And BTW, Wvans Cycles apparently sell the Wheels Manufacturing hangers.

Thanks very much all.
That dropout saver looks great!

I'll check that Facebook group out also.

Just the gearshifter then.
Thanks

Hi guys, i know i probably won't get a reply. As this thread is 7 years old. But i have a recently bought my dream bike / holly grail bike the "1990 Alpine Stars Al-Mega DX" and i'm slowly trying to fix it up just so it rideable until i can afford to fully restore it. I went to lower the stem yesterday as the previous owner had been riding it for years with stem fully extended and it was stuck solid. So i undid all the headset parts and all the bearings fell out of the bottom part of the headset. The balls were bone dry and and a little rusty, the top bearings are in better condition but both cages that hold the ball bearings are pretty rusted out. The YST Rambo 28.6 1-1/4 headset parts all look good. And i would like to re-use them. Can anyone tell me where i can by just the replacement bearings/cages for this size headset. Or do i need to buy an entire new head just to get the bearings/cages?

Hi guys, i know i probably won't get a reply. As this thread is 7 years old. But i have a recently bought my dream bike / holly grail bike the "1990 Alpine Stars Al-Mega DX" and i'm slowly trying to fix it up just so it rideable until i can afford to fully restore it. I went to lower the stem yesterday as the previous owner had been riding it for years with stem fully extended and it was stuck solid. So i undid all the headset parts and all the bearings fell out of the bottom part of the headset. The balls were bone dry and and a little rusty, the top bearings are in better condition but both cages that hold the ball bearings are pretty rusted out. The YST Rambo 28.6 1-1/4 headset parts all look good. And i would like to re-use them. Can anyone tell me where i can by just the replacement bearings/cages for this size headset. Or do i need to buy an entire new head just to get the bearings/cages?
Bearing cages are probably tricky to find in 1" 1/4 so I would just get shot of them and put the balls in loose instead. You don't technically need the bearing cage and the grease will hold the balls in whilst you reassemble.

Bearing cages are probably tricky to find in 1" 1/4 so I would just get shot of them and put the balls in loose instead. You don't technically need the bearing cage and the grease will hold the balls in whilst you reassemble.
Thanks so much GT Turbo. Thats a great idea. I will try this so not to get slowed down in the re-build.

I’ve replied to the PM saying same. Ditch the retainers, pack it full of grease, get new bearings on ebay or a LBS if one exists. Best of luck Ben.

Reg

Back