Wanted Airnimal folding bike

stevet1

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Tentitavely looking for an Airnimal, either a Joey or Chameleon. Flat bars and disc brakes preferred but will consider other options.

I may have just the thing.

Practically new condition airnimal joey in black. I have heavily upgraded it from stock, xtr 10x1 gearing (have front mech and shifter if you wanted to go 2x), formula Rx disc brakes, hope hubs, FSA gossamer bb386 cranks (was looking at putting on some carbon FSA 2x cranks which are also bb386 which I still have), FSA afterburner flat bars, crank bros iodine 11 saddle and the most trick part, some custom made pace rc24 forks (no, there is no such thing officially, but I may own the only set on the earth, proper decals made to suit too).

I do have the original forks.

I've also added crank bros split qrs in gold, matching up with the saddle and crank bros lock on grips. Also have 3 matching qrs to replace the frame ones as well.

So basically the only original parts are the headset, seat post and frame.

I did all this as I don't like folding bikes in principle, they all seem to ride terribly with tiny coaster wheels and awful frames. The joey bucks the trend and feels and rides like a proper bike. As I wanted to go as good as I could get, I set about upgrading the moment I got it.

One benefit of the 24 inch wheels now on there is they are the more sensible 24 inch erto size, meaning you can get decent tyres and are not limited to road slicks.

I only rode it a few times, as bought due to work relocating and needed to train then cycle. Made redundant not long afterwards so it's barely done a few hundred miles at most. Only has one tiny marks to paint (have original touch up it came with, may be dried up, haven't checked in a while). Original manual, receipt £1650 was stock price when I bought it iirc). The only thing it needs is the brakes servicing, as it's not been ridden in a long time. I do have a full service seal set for the job.

I genuinely don't think you'll find a better one, even new.

If you are interested, let me know. It's hidden at the back of my shed, but I can liberate and get some pics of you want.

Here's a thread with a few pics from a while back.

Thanks, I do actually remember your original post from back then and thought you had done a great job. I am interested but expect you may be looking for more than I am looking spend at the moment. Pm me some pics and an approx price you would be happy with.

Last edited:
I can dumb the build down a bit, have other options for gearing and the og forks. Not got any alternative wheels though. Iirc they are pro 2 or Evo hubs on sun single track rims.

What sort of budget do you have in mind.

Well was hoping to spend up to £600, for a nicer build I'd have to consider maybe selling a few bits to balance the books

Not having been mooching around airnimal pricing for a while, I thought that price sounded quite optimistic based on what I've seen just the frames sell for alone, admittedly a while back.

A quick search of online outlets suggests £600;doesn't get you a lot of airnimal. This joey for example is billy basic, I've not actually seen one in such a low spec, was it even available this way? Either way, tops out your budget: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23557136...eEG02BlRb2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I did stumble on this one. Older frame I think but has some of the upgrades you are after, and for £500. Collection only though:

Everything else I have seen is way more than either of the above.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yep that last one is the one I've been watching, fairly local to me as well (1hrs drive) but seller is an unknown quantity.
How far am I off what you would be looking for with original fork?

It's tough to say as I've owned since new, barely ridden, and has been heavily upgraded. Wheels alone worth a fair wedge. And I know what I spent on top of the base price to get it to where it is.

I could down-spec to say zee gearing, pop the original forks back on, swap the iodine 11 to a 3 (same colour, not ti rails), all mint kit to drop the price. While a massive hit on spend, as is I was hoping to clear £1k by some margin, with the minor downgrades, £800, though hurts at that price. Imho the best folder you can get, and less than half the price of a basic spec joey sport, especially as it's as new.

I've also got some wired knobbly tyres, and a rare set of 24 inch racing Ralph's (I think, could be another model), Kevlar bead folders too.

Latest posts

Back