Again a Locomotief

dutchie

Retro Guru
A (Dutch) Locomotief again. I bought this one last weekend. Seems to be one of 1964 or something like that. Tubular tires (almost new ones), Crankset Stronglight 63 Suer Competition. Brooks B17 saddle. Titan bars and stem (1964) including a TA Specialités ref. 32A cable guide. Size 55 centimeters centre-top. Nervex lugs (different types in front and rear, due to the regular thing framebuilder Bertus Slesker (Amsterdam, later Dieren, Gazelle) used to do. Campagnolo dropouts. Derailleurs are (pity) from later years early 70's Shimano Thunderbird front and rear Eagle. 28 inch 700C. tubulars wheels. Super Champion Ar-en-ciel rims. front wheels a Shimano hub of later era, rear wheel a quit strange high flange green coloured Altenburger. Freewheel Atom, 14-16-18-20-22-24. Tubulars Schwalbe Lugano.
Excited to restore during the winter months. :xmas-wink:

125826947_3506934622754464_190094639782171753_o.jpg

Elev12k":248ot0n2 said:
Nice :) Are you going to repaint it?
Not sure yet. I am not that fond about respraying normally. When possible I leave it what it is. Including patina. :)

satkin55":1il06gox said:
I picked up a couple of Locomotief head badges in a job lot, nice to see a full bike.
The Amsterdam type? There is also one with 'Dieren' on it, when Locomotiefs (later in the sixties) were made in the Gazelle factory.
$_84.JPG

Turns out I have 3, the printed Amsterdam one, an embossed Amsterdam which has lost its paint, and a 4-point one with WETT and GED on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    965.8 KB · Views: 1,123
'Wett. ged.' is the Dutch abbreviation for 'legally deposited'. That last one is for the fender of the rear wheel. To make your collection complete ;) , the Dieren version as well.
Locomotief%20rijwielfabriek%20Dieren%201.smallItem.JPG

Framebuilder Bertus Slesker started with his brother in Amsterdam with the Locomotief bikes. In the late sixties he was invited to work with Gazelle in order to improve their race bikes in Dieren with his skills. He indeed was the man behind the famous Gazelle Champion models. He was still working there on to his Locomotief's which at a time were pretty simular to the Gazelle's. In 1971 and 1972 the (orange) Locomotief bikes were used by the Dutch team of Goudsmit-Hoff from Cees Pellenaars in the Tour de France. After some years he was getting tired of travelling every day from Amsterdam to Dieren vice versa. He returned to Amsterdam again and started to work with Presto there.

Back