Advise of Fox Float F80RLT please!?

PanoIgano

Fat Chance Fan
Hi everyone,

I am in thinking of buying a Fox Float F80RLT from 2004 (might be 2005 not sure but I don't think structurally there are many differences between these two years).

I have the following questions about them:

1. Are original or repro spare parts available in the market in case I have to find something that needs replacing?
2. Are they easy to adjust and set up (based on my weight) once I install them?
3. Do you know anyone in UK or EU that services said forks in case of an oil change, replacement of damaged parts?

In general, I have found raving ride reports about these forks when they were released. They are supposed to be not as flexy as the equivalent Rock Shox models and offer better cushioning. However, I haven't found any reviews of their servicability.

Thanks in advance for your input

1. Wiper seals are available, most of the rest is obsolete (unless a shared part with another fork) to my knowledge.

2. Yes, preload is air pressure, rebound is very wide ranging from super slow to pogo stick. IMHO the threshold setting for the lockout only really applies for XC racing or road / gravel riding and is just twiddling a dial.

3. For a basic wiper seal replacement and fluid change, most shops should be able to handle that. The full damper unit service is probably a job for Silverfish or TF Tuned, but if anything is broken or worn out I think they’ll struggle to repair it.

There is a very high chance of stanchion wear on this era of fork, Fox never sold spare stanchions so it means finding a complete crown-steerer unit. Bushings are available, but a job for TFT or Silverfish.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your feedback!

It’s a risk buying any 20 year old fork I guess so I can only take my chances and see what I end up with.

You might hear from me again now that I know you have some expertise with this type of forks🙏😅

Am I going to need a special pump for it, you guys know?

Or can I use any other pump for air suspensions?

Ordinary Schrader shock pump.

To start, I set the pressure in psi = my weight in kg. I.e. 75kg = 75 psi. Then measure static sag, with only 80mm to play with I’d go for 10% static (by adjusting the air pressure) and see how it feels. You can then adjust further to suit.

Thanks again guys!

The more I look at what type of fork to buy the more I am lost in different techologies. Last time I rode one on my bike was 1998!

The fork will eventually go on a Brodie Sovereign '95 but I am not after a period correct one. I would rather have a 21st century one that is still V break compatible but of newer technology if possibled (air - spring -oil)

Would anyone be kind enough to provide me with an online resource where the different technologies (coil / elastometers / air) are explained?

This way, I will know what I am getting myself into with the Fox Float or if I should go with an elastometer fork instead as these are usually easier to maintain and don't need so much adjusting?

So basically, I am asking for some resources to get back in suspension tech basics and do an educated choice...so anyone who can get me educated on this?

Apologies, I should have noted all this right from the start of this post but as I started looking into the matter the more lost I felt.

Latest posts

Back