Advice on hood covers please? TIA

b1nners

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place as I'm new to the forum.
Over the summer I bought a Claud Butler Colstar and I've attached a picture.
It didn't come with hood covers and so I was wondering if someone could suggest where I might find a suitable set for the bike? Many thanks in advance.

Dan Screenshot_2021-09-13-22-54-45-45_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619~2.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Nice bike, do you have any pictures from the other side ? If you can find a serial number a chap on here called Peachy! Should be able to give you a date on the bike.

Nice looking Claud.
Not sure what those brakes are so I'm sorry I can't suggest any hoods for it.
As for the model? Erm... definitely not a Colstar I'm afraid.
There were two versions of the Colstar, the first version appeared in the mid 70's the 2nd was around '79-'81. They were both top of their respective ranges with 531 double butted competition tubing, neither had those lower end forks, or those top tube cable eyes on the side, or those lower end stamped dropouts, or a lamp boss or pump pegs.
Whoever did the respray has been a bit cheeky.

1981Cat_small.jpg 76ColstarCycle.jpg

Thanks for the advice.
I'll have to have a look through the catalogue to try and identify the model; the serial number is pretty much illegible so no clues there.
I was told the bike was 1963 but from what I understand there weren't any new models in that year so I'll have to investigate.
Thanks again

Plate dropouts, lamp boss on the forks suggest it's a cheapy I'm afraid. There also seems to be no tubing sticker - original paintwork or not?

I doubt it is a real CB I'm afraid. Looks to me like a paint job on a 'cheap' frame with some CB transferrs fitted, a bit like the faux Colnagos etc. that appear occasionally. At one time you could buy such transfers in shops over the counter.

Thanks for the advice.
I'll have to have a look through the catalogue to try and identify the model; the serial number is pretty much illegible so no clues there.
I was told the bike was 1963 but from what I understand there weren't any new models in that year so I'll have to investigate.
Thanks again
Don’t mind Old Ned, he got dropped on his head as a child. 😁
It’s possibly not 1963, I’m pretty sure nothing in the range that year had those features.
It’s more likely either a Spectra or an Electron both of which first appeared in 1967.
Low in the Holdsworthy Claud Butler range but still higher than a lot on the high street back in those days (IMO, just look at the crap Raleigh were flogging!)
If you ever slip the forks out at sometime maybe for new bearings/service etc, you will find a clearly stamped number on the steering tube. We can date it accurately from that.

Back