advice on a wheelset for this Pinarello Paris

jordic1968

Retro Guru
These cosmos are nice but cracked. Groupset (intended) is DA 7700. Apart of the Ullrich ' s Lightweigh ;) any ideas what could fit lovely here ?

Attachments

• 20180210_175702.jpg
    20180210_175702.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 1,073
Mavic Open Pro on DA hubs? Alternatively for something more Italian go for Ambrosio Excellence or Excellight rims.

good advice, thanks! DA 7700 hubs are quite rare and expensive... maybe because are NICE ;) Plenty of ultegra out there but it's not the same....

What about mavic cosmic ?

Attachments

• Cosmic_1st Gen.jpg
    Cosmic_1st Gen.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,017
Ultegra are just as good in the real world...and you will be going too fast for anyone to know.
The Cosmics are nice, but can be harsh. You'd better be going fast though!

I'd check the ERD of the Cosmos rims - it might be simple to transplant hubs and spokes onto another rim like an Open Pro.

jordic1968":209yvi2o said:
These cosmos are nice but cracked. Groupset (intended) is DA 7700. Apart of the Ullrich ' s Lightweigh ;) any ideas what could fit lovely here ?

Yes can vouch for the Lightweights - I have a pair from that era (about 2000) which I still have and they are by a long way the most amazing wheels I have ever used :) With the right offer I might be pursuaded to part with them as I no longer race... but then again even if someone offered me £big I would probably pull out of the deal at the last moment :)

OK so being sensible for a moment - a pair of deep rims will go very well with the frame and keep it 'period correct'. The early 2000s was about the time when people started to use deep rims for road bikes. Mavic Cosmics or Spinergy Rev-x wheels would go well. Or a pair of Lightweights (nooo!)

Oh yes and definately a pair of Veloflex Master tyres in red, 23mm please none of this 25mm or wider nonsense :)

Thanks for the advice.. I'm really confused ;)

Don't worry about the Lightweights for now... Cosmics are nice, but heavier. There are some pics with Ullrich using deep alu rims before the lightweight ones.

Open Pro's I believe are going to be faster and more pleasant on my typical runs, and ones in black can look also pretty good.

On the other side, I'm trying now to overhaul a pair of 8 speed Shamals to Shimano 9 speed.... I believe once I sell some old stuff I have at home I'll decide one way or another ;)

Funnily enough I have a pair of Mavic Open Pros which I use as a 'normal' wheelset' in place of the Lightweights, on Dura Ace 25th anniversary hubs (7700). They make for a fantastic wheelset.

Finally I could manage to get 9 speed shimano compatible shifting on a pair of old Shamals, but who said harsh ? After a couple of rides I can say yes, they are! So Shamals go just for the pics while waiting for some fresh cash to get lighter wheels (plus proper RD, shorter stem ... )

Attachments

• 20180227_133404_edited.jpg
    20180227_133404_edited.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 853
SimonJC":3g0vym77 said:
Oh yes and definately a pair of Veloflex Master tyres in red, 23mm please none of this 25mm or wider nonsense :)

Don't knock em till you try em. The 25 Masters are a wonderful Tyre. I don't ride anything under 25's anymore. What's the point?

Back