A Retro Road bike with that can keep up with the modern bikes - advice please ?

Columbus steel lugged EL OS frame with groupset of your choice plus Open Pro wheels by a good builder. Retro as you wish to make it, light, comfortable, and plenty quick enough.

So would this means building your own bike? Or is there someone out there putting these bikes together in the UK?

Another thing - can I keep the budget down to no more than £500 and still get a good used bike measuring up to my expectations?

Yes!

With a budget of under £500 I would put a wanted advert on here, a decent steel frame wont cost much and a powdercoat can be done if its a little rough. You may be in luck someone may have a complete bike, pretty sure under your budget. You can upgrade wheels etc as you go.

I may have some bits free/very cheap that could help with a budget build.

Yes!

With a budget of under £500 I would put a wanted advert on here, a decent steel frame wont cost much and a powdercoat can be done if its a little rough. You may be in luck someone may have a complete bike, pretty sure under your budget. You can upgrade wheels etc as you go.

I may have some bits free/very cheap that could help with a budget build.
OK thanks - I'm not really handy with bike builds I'm afraid - so a complete bike would be preferable.

I'm sure even I could upgrade wheels though :)

I live in North Norfolk so the closer the bike is the better and I would need a large frame for a 6ft 1" chappy.

I love retro bikes, that's why I visit this site. I've raced since the 80's and you can't beat the look of a classic quality steel bike. I've got my classic Rory O'Brien with campag super record and down tube leavers and its a thing of beauty to have in the garage. I even ride it occasionally on sunny days. However, there have been advancements which make cycling better and going fast easier. A wide range of gears you can change seamlessly from the handlebars even out the saddle are fantastic. Clipless pedals as someone has already said are a lot better than clips and straps. But here's where I know not everyone on here will agree, you can't beat the ride quality of a modern carbon frame. They are light, stiff where they need to be and comfortable. Something like a 4 year old second hand Giant TCR Advanced with 105 will cost less than a grand and is a joy to ride.

I love retro bikes, that's why I visit this site. I've raced since the 80's and you can't beat the look of a classic quality steel bike. I've got my classic Rory O'Brien with campag super record and down tube leavers and its a thing of beauty to have in the garage. I even ride it occasionally on sunny days. However, there have been advancements which make cycling better and going fast easier. A wide range of gears you can change seamlessly from the handlebars even out the saddle are fantastic. Clipless pedals as someone has already said are a lot better than clips and straps. But here's where I know not everyone on here will agree, you can't beat the ride quality of a modern carbon frame. They are light, stiff where they need to be and comfortable. Something like a 4 year old second hand Giant TCR Advanced with 105 will cost less than a grand and is a joy to ride.
Oh dear - you may have upset the apple cart here :). But I appreciate your alternative way of thinking thank you!

Yes,
Another thing - can I keep the budget down to no more than £500 and still get a good used bike measuring up to my expectations?
£500 should be sufficient - but take your time, spend a while watching the market and keep asking questions. There is also a lot of over-priced tat around...people who think a gaspipe horror from the 1970s is worth loads. Once you know your 531 from 501 it will help. There are still diamonds in the rough, but knowledge is necessary. A bike jumble is a good place to start for a decent frame, alternatively a good old fashioned bike shop which deals in secondhand bikes.

You're right, I can't agree that a modern carbon frame beats a top end steel frame for ride quality. I own and ride top end carbon Trek Madone and Domane models and neither is as comfortable as riding my Tommasini Tecno (steel), though the Domane comes close. I reserve the carbon bikes for shorter rides and winter rides. The Tecno is the bike I always return to for a long summer ride because it handles the bumps and poor UK road surfaces in the most fluid manner. The ride quality is superior and I feel less beat-up. Each to their own...

So would this means building your own bike? Or is there someone out there putting these bikes together in the UK?
It's not that difficult to build a bike from components and you can always ask a bike shop for the bits you don't feel you can tackle. Plenty of advice on this Forum too!

Last edited:
Back