98--> experiance

sylus":2vczeh8k said:
You think 98 is bad..try the bmx section..man that gives me the shivers..strange folk indeed :LOL:

Theres never anyone there ,or so it appears on the surface.But if you hang around for a while and start going into one or two of the threads you get the distinct feeling someones watching you from deep in the shadows,lurking almost,perhaps even ready to pounce
:shock: :shock:

Having never ridden a retro or modern full suss I can't comment on those but I have to say what's not to like about a modern HT, it's the same basic shape, it's got 2 wheels and handlebars and a selection of gears just like a pre 98 bike , ok it's got slightly more gears than a purist retrobike but is that a negative , I'd say not as it makes going up hills that bit easier (now I'm getting on a bit) and as for forks well what can I say they are wonderful as I can ride all day and still feel my hands and wrists at the end of it and brakes, oh it's so nice to just gently squeeze the levers and momentum decreases with no drama, wet/dry/muddy and I still slow down without needing vice like fingers, I could go on but these are the main things for me so I say again "what's not to like about modern bikes".
Matthew
might look like a dinosaur but has a different mentality ;)

Most modern Full Susser look more like motor bikes without engines, not for me...

I've been seen and in no rush to venture back, :( sadly my LBS has the same effect on me,
if you have to wear a full face helmet and body armour to ride most of the offerings on sale then I'm like a fish out of water

I think the problem is that in the post 1997 section everything is mixed up together: last year's boring Cube with a 1999 Rocky Mountain that deserves better. Add to that some people that are not able to see beyond their own preference and prejudice. If you like riding bicycles, I said actually riding them!, you shall know by know that today's quality bicycle kicks the one from our beloved "classic" era, whatever that's supposed to mean, directly in the nads. You know what will hurt purists even more? That this year's cheapo RST or Suntour is superior to any Manitou or RockShox from before 1997, that those ugly Tektro V-brakes are about 10 times better than ANY of that billet cantilever junk, that you can actually get decent tires that grip and are NOT amberwall and that ugly but wide 31.8 interface handlebars plus short stems are a blessing in terms of handling.

Oh, in case you have missed it, today's do-it-all and go anywhere mountainbike is a lightish air-sprung 150 mm full-suspension with aggressive geometry that is decent to climb and FUN (hey, remember this word?) to descend, hydraulic disc brakes, remote control dropper seatpost and grippy tires of high volume. Because back in the 90's, that period that we all hold in such high regard, the mountainbike was a versatile piece of machinery that could take you places and teach you experiences. Now we have a heapload of specialized (sic) bikes that are all crippled and limited in their specific domains, but there still are contenders for the title of do-it-all and fun mountainbike. By the way, the evolution of the Stumpjumper, as a model, is no coincidence to what I'm saying (even though a tad different) and Specialized aren't stupid.

As for the "vulgar" 1998 plus section, as some vain members look at it I notice, you will have some nice surprises over there, if you manage to conquer your very own prejudice. Some awesome Lobo restorations in progress, the odd Intense and one that is at least as good as pretty much any build on this forum: the Yamaha themed Rotec bike.

As for bikes and how a certain era makes them "superior", please tell me how my 2003 Tazer, my 2004 M1 or my 1999 Chameleon are sub-par compared to some silly HiTen bodied Kona Hahanna from 1996 or a Mongoose, or a Raleigh or any below mid range bike of a "beloved" brand! ;)

Don't take this post as an offense, please. It is not meant as such. I just guess that sometimes people seem to forget that retro bikes are just a hobby, not a religion, that functionality has very little to do with passion and that we are actually moving forward in terms of bike design and development. If you doubt me, just try to ride on a mountain trail of some difficulty an impeccable mid early nineties Yeti or a "period correct" Klein with all the extras you wish versus, say, this year's base model Trek Remedy. In the end, the sport is called MOUNTAIN biking and having fun while riding is a benefit, not a fad.

Happy trails!
Mx

Re: 98-->

redhat":255azi44 said:
theres some cool stuff on the modern bikes and some cool looking bikes and im sure they are a great ride. looking in the 98--> forum is just not for me.

I don’t have an issue with that section not being for you, but is it really necessary to broadcast it in a new thread? Does it really add any value to Retrobike as a forum?? It gets rather tiring reading through all the comments and threads full of whinging and whining and all it does (from my perspective) is reinforce English cultural stereotypes…

Re: 98-->

redhat":3bah98xf said:
to answer for me i think my problem is not the looks of the bikes or the ride, which your right ive not ridden properly a 98 onwards bike. but i actually feel a little out of my comfort zone. i was obssesed with bikes during the 90s then when girls and cars and career got in the way bikes got left behind. now 15 years on i have more time and cash walking into my local bike shops which are not the ones i remember is quite frankly an uneasy experiance. theres some cool stuff on the modern bikes and some cool looking bikes and im sure they are a great ride. looking in the 98--> forum is just not for me.

dont wanna babel on but im sure theres others with the same problem with the modern era.

FFS borrow a modern bike and get it dirty.

I like mountain bikes. Old ones, new ones... I do admit I'm not into bastardised bikes loaded with non-period stuff (except the grandpa's axe ones) but in all seriousness I could pick a bike I've loved from pretty much every year over the last 20 or so.

Maxipedia, I hope you see the irony that you say people are not able to see past their own prejudice and preference and then categorically state that some products are better than others.

For me, Tektro v-brakes are not 10 times better than some of the cantis I've used. The best stopping bike I've ridden so far is my Karakoram Elite with DX front cantis and an XT U-brake on the rear, but that's just my preference and I certainly wouldn't suggest they are 'better' than v-brakes.

Not denyiny you have a fair point though, especially about having fun riding :)

kingoffootball":1idvqss7 said:
Maxipedia, I hope you see the irony that you say people are not able to see past their own prejudice and preference and then categorically state that some products are better than others.

But of course! I didn't dare say I am free of prejudice; I have my bugs, no worries. But is it right that there is a fair (sic) majority of us retrobike users and lovers that look down on pretty much anything newer and with less pedigree than we grew accustomed to, forgetting all too often form over function? I have to pinch myself at times, frankly. And I just think that if people who are maybe too much into retrobikes would at least try a decent modern bike, maybe their riding experience would shift for the good. In the end, it's all that matters, except owning all the fancy stuff. :)

Oh, and I hate to bring this up again, but the 1997 limit is way too abrupt for me. 1997, 1998 and 1999 bikes are very much the same and differ as a period from what was before and after them. Those were the years when V-brakes appeared and when the styling didn't go all racing on every model of bike and a certain subtlety was still preserved. And flat black wasn't the rage it eventually become. Looks and graphic-wise it all went downhill from there, if you ask me.

As for the Tektro's, RST's and other mentioned above, they were just examples of functionality and decency. I've ridden quite a few bikes, but never found a cantilever brake that was at least half as powerful as a cheap V-brake with the correct set-up. If you have any suggestions on that, I'll take them gladly. Really!

Cheers!
Mx

Back