96/97 Giant ATX-970 About Finished

pwiles1968

Retro Newbie
I dug my 970 out of the garage at the start of the year as part of my getting fit again, I quickly decided to upgrade it it was pretty much stock and has been sat for 20 years.

I cannibalised a Bike to Get a Fork with Disc Mounts and Disc Breaks plus with wheels, an A2Z mount fitted the rear frame perfectly to give me a whole 1mm clearance to the disk. I also purchased a cheap RockShox Monarch Solo Air It was in a poor state but after a rebuild and new oil is working great, its about 10mm shorter than the spring that came off but the bike has plenty of travel so no ill effects, Wider 760mm Bars and shorter 50mm stem has helped at the front massively. Last piece of work came today fitted a 1x10 drive 11-42 rear and 34 front will play with front sizes but the 34 should work. Most of the new parts are budget and the cannibalised bike has been rebuilt so can sell it on all in all not bad for few hundred pounds. Keeping my eye out for a RockShox Air for up front but the Suntour is a big step up from the RST that was on there.

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4130 2.JPG

IMG_4107.JPG IMG_4111.JPG

IMG_4109.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4130 2.JPG
    IMG_4130 2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1
Cheers,

I do not suppose you know what year it is ? I bought it new but for the life of me I can not remember exactly when and if it was a current model even when i got it.
1997 I believe - maybe even '98.
I've uploaded the '97 catalogue to the magazines / scans section, but it's not a UK edition so the colours are different.

1997 I believe - maybe even '98.
I've uploaded the '97 catalogue to the magazines / scans section, but it's not a UK edition so the colours are different.
It’s possible that it’s 98 but I would have bought it as current model and I’m sure it was in a sale when I got it 🤔

I can’t remember last month let alone last century 🤣

Back