'94 GT Zaskar Aqua (all dead photobucket links)

Re:

a few pictures from sunday's ride... making the most of that sunshine while it lasted....

Seatpost and stem have both been changed for practicality

Re:

14/08/16

I've aquired a bunch of different forks with various axle to crown lengths to decide which are best suited. Ideally i want one pair of suspension forks and one pair of rigid forks...

from left to right
➡️ Onza Fly Guy, 430mm
➡️ On one cro/mo, 420mm
➡️ 1995 pace rc35 MXD, 430mm
➡️ 1999 marzocchi bomber z2 superfly, 440mm
➡️ Surly instigator 450mm

sean

Re: '94 GT Zaskar Aqua Retromod

I'd 2nd the on ones as the alloy onzas will give a more harsh ride plus the on ones do have the better look as previously stated as for suspension i would of thought the pace were lighter but due to no experience with either supension forks i couldn't comment ..

Re:

I was thinking the same. I rode the bike with the onza forks but took them straight off, theyre stiff and harsh to ride, i didnt like the look of them on the zaskar either. I do really like the pace fork though, so i might keep them for commuting also, but i did ride them around ashton court trail on thursday and they werent really upto it

Well if the pace weren't really upto a bit of light trail then i'd plum for the Bombers or get the pace overhauled as the dampers are probably goosed as for the Onza's they'd probably be great for just road but even then i'd be tempted to use fat slicks for better comfort ..

Re:

The rc35 will never be as good as the bombers, but they do sag by 15-20mm so to be fair they dont have as much travel as they should. Theyve had new elastomers only a few years ago so those should be ok, Im going to take the legs off and see if i can squeeze another elastomer in each leg... I might just finish off that pink saracen too :LOL:

It just goes to show how little i know about suspension forks as i was not aware that the pace forks had that much sag which is quite surprising tbh and if you can add another elastomer to the forks it may just reduce the sag by a few mm or worse case scenario lock the fork legs out altogether but fingers crossed it will work out okay ..

Ah yes !! the lovely pink Saracen hmm! , i'd forgotten you'd got that but it wouldn't hurt to get it sorted as i'd love to see that finished off ;) ..

Re:

I doubt the forks would lock up if i added extra elastomer as they are fairly soft... i remember when i replaced the elastomers in my manitou forks, i stacked the new ones right to the top of the leg and there was no sag at all. But after a few rides and the new elastomers had compressed, the sag started to develop. I reckon thats whats happened after the pace elastomers were changed and there is probably a gap at the top of the damper/skewer where some elastomer should be. I'll have to take the legs off to find out :)

The saracen is just waiting to be cabled up, i hoped to give it to my girlfriend months ago but ive unfortunately had going on this year which has prevented me from doing so

Sean :cool:

Well that's good to see that you've done the elastomer extension before and have a good idea of how things tend to work out but yes i understand the elastomers do give a little sag after a while so once the pace are done and bedded in they should be okay for a while ..

Yep it's funny how life tends to get busy when you want to finish a build off so fingers crossed you'll get the time soon and you can finally give it to your girfriend ..

Back