93 KHS Montana Pro

I have to disagree with the above comments, the springy light frame means it will excel on the rough technical terrain, ride it light and it will just skip over roots and rocks, the faster you go the better it will be. They are designed to be ridden hard and fast, any shortcomings will be more down to lack of rider ability than the frames.
I used to hate springy frames BITD, but that's when everyone thought that rigid BB's were the key to going fast. Fast forward 40 years and I hate super rigid carbon frames and love riding my old whippy steel bikes.

I love a springy steel frame! I'm not saying this couldn't be ridden hard over technical terrain, just that I have options I'd reach for first given the choice!
Made a few changes, due to oversight/laziness/stupidity I managed to break the Mag 21, so have fitted a Judy instead, longer A-C brings the front end up and longer steerer allows a few spacers under the stem, both of which make it more comfortable to ride, fork works better too. Also fitted a slightly wider bar and some PC-11 brake levers which just feel nicer than SS7s.
DSC_0285.JPG DSC_0286.JPG

Spec sheet:

Frame: 1993 KHS Montana Pro

Fork: Rockshox Judy XC

Headset: Tange Techno-glide
Stem: Control Tech
Handlebar: X-lite Expert
Grips: Specialized
Barends: N/A

Brakes: Dia-compe 987
Brake Pads: Dia-compe
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Dia-compe
Brake Levers: Dia-compe PC-11

Shifters: Suntour XC Expert
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 600
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT Cs-M737 11-28 8 speed
Chain: Shimano HG-71
Cranks: Shimano Deore LX M560 175mm
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano SG-X
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN-51
Pedals: Shimano PD-M525

Hub Skewers: Shimano Deore XT
Rims: Mavic 221
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT
Nipples: DT Swiss
Spokes: DT Swiss
Tyres: Tioga Psycho/Edge TT
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo
Seatpost: USE aluminium
Seatpost Binder: Allen bolt

Weight: 25lb 8oz / 11.56kg

Last edited:
Changed the front end again. I want the white Judy for something else I'm slowly working towards, so slightly older fork with an threaded XT headset and a higher rise Zoom stem. _20220221_105222.JPG _20220221_105301.JPG

Latest posts

Back