91 Rocky Mountain "Glacier" / Blizzard

NigelFinnighan

Rocky Mountain Fan
IMG_1559.jpeg I recently picked up this Rocky Mountain Glacier. I'm told it's a 91- not a whole lot of information regarding the "Glacier" other than, it's a rebadged Blizzard for the euro market, but I'm not sure one way or the other. The paint scheme is a little different than other 91 blizzard's, and the SN appears to be I91010500 which seems different than other references to RMB SN's. This bike is a little odd with these curious bits but aslo I'm in Southern Alberta Canada, which makes a Euro Glacier odd around here.

Please disregard the stupid seat- the original one is torn, and needs to be repaired. oh and the pedals, I have the XT's, I just much prefer platforms. IMG_1559.jpeg IMG_1560.jpeg IMG_1561.jpeg IMG_1564.jpeg IMG_1558.jpeg

Missed this, frame serial is 1991 January , frame design is 1991 (headtube cable stops)
Somewhere on here is the '590' number to this, also a Glacier but they are adamant is is a 1992 iirc.

Paint and decals are the 1992 era though.
So possibly they finished of 1991 frames. And sold them in 1992 when the newer Blizzard came out, or it been in for a respray/decal (just seems unlikely).

It looks nice though.

Missed this, frame serial is 1991 January , frame design is 1991 (headtube cable stops)
Somewhere on here is the '590' number to this, also a Glacier but they are adamant is is a 1992 iirc.

Paint and decals are the 1992 era though.
So possibly they finished of 1991 frames. And sold them in 1992 when the newer Blizzard came out, or it been in for a respray/decal (just seems unlikely).

It looks nice though.
Thanks Fluffy- I think frame number "590" is this frame- the S/N is so faint I may have posted in two different places with two different S/N- The latest story I've heard is that these Glaciers may have been early 91 blizzards with some issues with the chain stays from their overseas construction. These issues were rectified here in Canada. The affected frames were then finished with performance paints in white, called "Glacier" and sold off as a mid '91 summer release to Canadian dealers. This bike would have had the Syncros fork from the factory, but sadly mine was replaced with the Manitou 2.

I have changed a bunch of parts on this bike since these pictures- sadly I don't have any decent picture of just this one. But I do have a picture of all 3 of my "Performance Paints" Rocky's. (I call them my 92's). I'll make sure to take some better pictures and post to this thread once the snow melts some. My Hammer is also a '91 built frame (august IIRC).

IMG_3572.jpeg

Since I've updated the others, I should update this one with new pictures. it's gone through a few small changes since the last update- mostly with the saddle. I've gone back to the original (leather was torn badly) so I recovered with some denim. I keep forgetting how clean this bike is, not a scratch on it- just sadly missing it's original forks.

IMG_5021.jpeg IMG_5040.jpeg

I'd love to find a powerlite fork for this- it's a 20" frame which are harder to find in my expirience... if anyone is holding one reach out?

Back