8sp to 10sp Campagnolo Compatibility info wanted for zipp 2001 Build

powerclocks

Retro Newbie
Hi, I am rebuilding a Zipp 2001 and want to use mostly period correct parts, mostly 1994 - 1995. I have selected Campagnolo Record 8sp Brifters with an 8sp campy rear cluster and want to use the Campagnolo Record 10sp Titanium/Carbon derailleurs. Do they get along Ok.

It is purely a cosmetic choice, is the pull on the 8sp brifter close enough when I use a 10sp derailleur hanger? will the 8sp brifter pull the 10sp derailleur/parrallelogram to correct position on the 8sp cluster? I often see others doing stuff like this with varying degrees of success.

If I have to buy a certain model of Derailleur or special Cluster I would like to know early in the build so as not to waste money on stuff I can not use due to compatibility issues, any help is greatly appreciated. What I want to do and what I can do are probably not related.

p.s. I also have in my box of bits a Mavic Starfish Crank Set, any compatibility issues with this and a front Campy changer on the above set up? do I have to go find an early Campagnolo Record Crank Set?

Graeme

The mavic chainset will be ok, the rear mech won't index.
You need a campag 8 speed rear mech or you can use the pre 2000 9 speed mech. 21st century campag won't work with your shifters.
Any front mech and chainset will work cos your left shifter isn't indexed and works on a micro ratchet

Thanks for that, I have looked this up a bit, I was under the impression the pre 2000. 8, 9 and 10 speed carbon derailleurs had the same index ratios, and that allowed me to use the 8sp Record brifter with them on an 8 speed screw on cluster.

I need to use an 8 speed cluster as the Zipp 3000 wheels are screw on or I would just go with the 10 speed, whilst it is often talked about, finding actual measurements of index ratios is difficult.

I did want to use the 10sp carbon titanium derailleur for its appearance if I could, I may look a bit deeper into the issue and if you find any information that could stop me from wasting my time I would appreciate it. I am very well equipped to do modifications others may just walk away from.

There is no pre-2001 10 speed. It's only 9 that crossed the boundary.
Likewise carbon derailleurs are all post-2001 (by several years) and so are not 8 speed.

Beware also that 8 speed freewheels are generally Shimano (4.8mm) spacing, whereas Campag 8 is 5.0.

By coincidence Shimano 8 and Campag 10 shifters are the same pull per click, so you could use Campag 10 shifters with a Shimano rear mech and 8 speed freewheel.

Google shimergo. An article on the ctc website written by their then technical officer, Chris juden.
I know you're not after a campag/Shimano hybrid, but it also includes different campags.

Incidentally, there was no pre 2000 10 speed campag (I think, but happily corrected)

Yep, getting information from all the wrong places, 10spd is post 2000. I think I will wait a bit, once I get the bits I like I will set up the frame and derailleur with a dial gauge and see what I can do with the stuff, the only variation I can see is in the parallelogram, the ratio there is where my plan probably falls down, measuring the click pull to the cog position will tell me whether I can adjust the cable pull to suit the incorrect parallelogram ratio. Thanks for the valuable info. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. That be me.

Some good advice here! Nothing to add but to request a build thread for your 2001. One of my all time favourite bikes and high up the wish list. Have fun with your build. 😎

No need to mess about measuring cable pull or anything like that, everything is well documented on the internet already (the CTC shimergo page is one of the best, I think there is quite a bit on sheldon too). Unless you like messing about measuring things, of course! If you already have campag 8 speed shifters and cassette, then all you need is an 8 speed rear mech. This would be the easiest option by far. Have you checked the rear wheel freehub body type? there are two different campag 8 speed spline types, so make sure the cassette you have is compatible.

Don't forget you could try hubbub rear mech cable clamping to alter the pull ratio. Again, google it.
And you could see if there's a jtec shiftmate available to suit your requirements

Some good advice here! Nothing to add but to request a build thread for your 2001. One of my all time favourite bikes and high up the wish list. Have fun with your build. 😎
Thanks for that, I take so long to do builds sometimes I think most would loose interest long before I got it on the road, I will post a few pics as I go if I remember and if I find a better solution than the ones I can buy I will let you know.

Back