8sp cassette on 7sp hub ?

KeepItSteel":287guld3 said:
So for clarity, the additional 8th cog was just bolted onto the end of a 7sp block?

No!!!

ie, they didn't close the gaps to squeeze another cog in the same width?

I cant let this go on, its too painful to watch!

Just buy a 7spd cassette http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/03/ ... ddb8ce.jpg

If an 8spd really really must be used, you'd be better off looking at taking the largest sprocket off as the spacing will then match the shifter cable pull as it moves toward the end of the cassette. That way theres no soggy cable where the last shift should be and the stops on the mech prevent overshifts in to the spokes.

The 'spacer' that some older 7spd cassettes went before the 2nd last cog/ sprocket depending on the freehub body it was to be fitted to.

7 and 8spd chains are the same but you can also use 9spd, they shift just as nicely.

7spd Shimano thumbies dont shift that well over 8spd cassettes, they are okay at best but not as good as specific 8spd STi.

Thanks LGF

I’ve used a spacer there before but it always been a flat silver disc not some dull scalloped thing

Will be revisiting my 7 speed’s tonight

Ah FFS, it's never easy is it.

Was hoping for a no cost option. TGF, why would removing largest sproket make a difference over removing smallest sprocket? The derailleur should cover the same distance on every shift, shouldn't it?

The plan was to run 8sp Suntour Xc thumbies on the 8sp block, with 12t cog removed, and use RD stop screws to prevent overshifting. What am I missing?

At this rate, I think I'll probably just source a cheap rear wheel with 8sp hub.

or buy a 7spd cassette and switch the the shifters to 7spd?

NOS-Suntour-XC-PRO-3-7-8-Speed-Shifters-Set.jpg

Yeah just checked, had no idea 7sp cassettes are still available on such abundance and so cheap. I'll just pick up a new cassette as advised.

Never switched the XC Pros before, is it a case of simply unscrewing them rotating the lever a bit and re-tightening?

Back