8Freight Cargo bike - restoration / project

Here's a photo of my 8 freight with a load on, I have had mine way overweight and as long as you watch for bumps and don't hit them the bike takes it fine.
I'm surprised that washing machine stayed in place with just x2 bungee's! cargo on a cargo bike doesn't half get bounced around a lot due to the crap roads. Always good to see them put to use and have people watch you cycle past carrying BIG random things. Off for the weekly shop in ours early tomorrow morning! :)💪👍 by then end of it though I'm like... 🥵🤣

I'm surprised that washing machine stayed in place with just x2 bungee's! cargo on a cargo bike doesn't half get bounced around a lot due to the crap roads. Always good to see them put to use and have people watch you cycle past carrying BIG random things. Off for the weekly shop in ours early tomorrow morning! :)💪👍 by then end of it though I'm like... 🥵🤣
I used one piece ratchet straps with mine :)

Still think about Mike Burrows often. I keep this image on my laptop as it kind of sums him up in my view!

Attachments

• mike-burrows-radavist-60-scaled.jpg
    mike-burrows-radavist-60-scaled.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 22
Sorry for the lack of updates from me lately. I've been meaning to get the bike running for ages.

I'm only missing a new freehub now and I can put it all together.

@LunarBike I was hoping to get this running sweetly, before deciding whether I like it / need it. So it might be available at some point. I'll keep you posted if it comes up for sale.

Joe

Sorry for the lack of updates from me lately. I've been meaning to get the bike running for ages.

I'm only missing a new freehub now and I can put it all together.

@LunarBike I was hoping to get this running sweetly, before deciding whether I like it / need it. So it might be available at some point. I'll keep you posted if it comes up for sale.

Joe
Keep me posted, Haven't counted my bikes recently, but 3 8freights is much the same as 2!

Lesser spotted update!!

I managed to get a replacement freehub last week at a bike jumble. Came on an unused Alivio hub that I got for £0.50p!!

So, off with the freehub body.
20240302_195524.jpg

All came apart / went together nice and bonny.......until I wound the bolt back in on the 8freight and it decided that it was actually made of cheese, and snapped.

20240302_201701.jpg

Queue drilling it and, luckily, I managed to wind it out.

20240302_201637.jpg
20240302_204323.jpg
20240302_204430.jpg

So, after a bit of faffing, finally got the replacement cassette on. It was an 8 speed cassette which I got from yet another bike jumble (£6), however the new freehub body is only 7 speed. So it's going to be a 7-freight for now.

20240302_211535.jpg

That's it, inside now, drinking beer.

More when I can.

Joe

Hi Joe,

How did you get the free hub off ?
I’ve got a Taiwan built version, I’ve removed the retaining hex bolt but I can’t release the free hub

Any ideas

Cheers
Mike

You'll have to take the rear wheel off, which will pull the axle through and release the freehub (I think).

Mine might be different to yours though.

20230704_203207.jpg

@mynchiboy may be able to offer a better explanation!!!

Thanks for thinking of me Joe!

You are on the right lines though. A rubber mallet was a key tool when it came to 8 Freight servicing :)

@Mikefrancis The splined axle collar to hold the freehub was a typically Burrows thing. I suspect that the Taiwan bikes may have come up with a slightly different alternative. Do you have any pictures at all? You can always PM me if easier.

Back