84 Holdsworth Pro

squirrelchaser

Old School Grand Master
Hello , newbie here , I think this is the right place to be .
This is my white elephant , an 84 Holdsworth Pro . It's not perfect/finished because I can no longer ride it . It was always going to be a touch big but ....
I got it about 3 years ago in a total state . It had mudguard eyes brazed on and silver paint to cover the scorching and the rest of the paint was well beaten .
The wheels are obviously wrong but I have a weakness for Record l/f hubs and the nos FIR EA60's were available at the right money . The bars are single groove so they're wrong too and the seat post is pretty well scored and so it goes on !
I hope it's not to offensive to the purists out there .
Have a good day. P1050266.JPG

Last edited:
Re:

That’s lovely. I can’t begin to explain how many hours I drooled over one of those in the Holdsworthy brochure. In the end I bought the very similar looking Triath-Elan which was very much cheaper.

Re:

Thank you , I wish I'd found it sooner or smaller :)
The brochure experience ! One common to many of us I suspect . I had the same with the SBDU's , Raleigh Gran Tour and early Ridgebacks . I did get a Raleigh 8803 in my late teens which was amazing , so amazing it got nicked within a month .
I lived in York and so used to see a lot of Bob Jacksons which seemed utterly out of reach . I'm pleased to say I now have 2 , my sense of pride in them is a constant source of amusement to the wife !

Last edited:
Re:

Superb looking machine. That fork rake is just so right!

I've a 1980 Mistral frameset which just rides so well it's hard to believe it was built as a "tourer". That's running on campy large flange and Mavic Module E's so maybe cheating a little :D They knew what they were doing with "factory" framesets (no shit!): my '67 Freddie Grubb Veloce is similarly surprising.

Well done on getting the Jacksons before the closure. I was considering getting an off the peg for most of last year but never pressed the button. Rats.....

SE 20 all the way ! Strangely enough I also have a Grubb Tourmalet about the same age as yours and last year I bought an RJ Quinn badged ''bike'' which Winston and Mario Vaz are certain came out of Anerley , {it has Holdsworth stickers now} .
The Grubb has been ''experimented'' on and needs putting back to rights but is one of the best riding frames I've ever felt . Like a gently spring loaded steam iron , if that makes sense .
The Quinn is , as far as I can tell , is pretty much a Mistral and has become a summer favourite for me , like a really quick Galaxy , love it .
Neither of the Jacksons were built for me , unfortunately . One is a '77 531db road bike and the other is some sort of randonneur , possibly a custom , from 96 . It's 531ST with 26" wheels .
Have a good day sir.

Re: 84 Holdsworth Mistral

I have been given a number opf vinatage bikes to restore.

The most interesting is Holdsworth Mistral.

1. It appears to have a 5 digit BB serial number. I am not sure of the 1st digit as the edge is damaged but it looks like a 1. The whole serial no is 10392.

2. The Head Badge is black enameled at the base

3. It has a front dynamo fitted clearly not original, and I a sure both wheels are not original.

4. 531 tubing.

4. The paintwork is not in bad condition. Loads of clips are replaced with tape.

I like restoring to original spec, as near as possible, so I am interested first in getting the year, then working out what would have been fitted originally - wheels, crankset etc.

Can any one help on the number provided.

I'm no expert by any means . Mine was easier because of what it is , a white professional .
I would try www.nkilgariff.com as a good place to start. Other members of this site will certainly be able to help more than I can , I'm sure .

I found a stripped down but , as it came to me pic .
It was a complete mish mash of parts , thickly coated with oily grease . Holdsworth rough.jpg

Last edited:
Back