80's TT bike tubing options?

Right I've got some tube OD's. Top tube is 25.8mm, seat tube is 28.6mm and the down tube is 29mm. Do these ring any bells with anyone?.

Hi Theoldfm, yes it is black and red, did you have a bid?.

Matt

Matt70":3m0h33xz said:
Right I've got some tube OD's. Top tube is 25.8mm, seat tube is 28.6mm and the down tube is 29mm. Do these ring any bells with anyone?.

Hi Theoldfm, yes it is black and red, did you have a bid?.

Matt

OD's look Imperial (25.4 top tube 28.6 down tube and 28.6 seat tube, give or take a little for paint thickness). Metric was 26.0 28.0 and 28.0

Are you sure the seat pin size is 27.0? As that makes the seat tube quite thick (thicker than 531) which doesn't fit in with the lightness you've quoted. A 28.6 OD seat tube with a 27.0mm seat pin is a 0.6 gauge tube at the top of the seat tube - the thinner end of the single butted tube.

This Columbus SL info shows a seat tube of 28.6 with a 0.6/.09 single butted seat tube which will probably be a 27.0 seat pin

So if your frame is Columbus SL it must be saving weight in other areas such as milled BB, short chainstays, type of lugs, number of braze on fittins etc

Attachments

• SL Tubing.jpg
    SL Tubing.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 488
Hi, thanks for the info and your thoughts on this.

The frameset has no fancy cut-outs or milling to speak of, so it's unlikely that the weight could be saved there. In fact there are a couple of aero features, such as centre mounted gear lever bracket on the down tube and hidden rear brake cable openings in the top tube, that probably add a tiny bit of weight to the frame as a whole?.

I've owned both 531 pro and SL frames in the past from good makers and although they were slightly larger than this example neither came close on either frame or fork weight to this Langdale frameset.

Matt

I'm not sure what photos will add to the topic?.

I was more interested in people's thoughts on possible tubing identity based on weight and diameters, I already know who made it and what it was designed for.

I think my next step is to contact langdale lightweights with the serial no. and see if they are prepared to have a look at their records from 30+ years ago! (if they still exist).

Matt

I think people just like to see pictures of bikes :D I'd like to see a picture just for curiosity and pleasure :)

Shaun

Theoldfm":1el4nodk said:
Langdale used a lot of Columbus so my money would be on Columbus SLetc tubing. Is the frame black and red fade by any chance?

"Pinky" built several frames around that time with a mix of Columbus tubing SL EL, etc I am not sure but think he acquired a mix job lot of tube sets I think " Pongo Braithwaite" did the same &the fame tubing was dependent on the size, strength of the customer.

Re:

......in the interests of assuaging curiosity and providing a modicum of pleasure in this yuletide season, here's the frameset in all its glory :xmas-big-grin:

......even the chain hanger seems to be a lightweight variety!.

Matt

Attachments

• langdale 3.jpg
    langdale 3.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 392
  • langdale 2.jpg
    langdale 2.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 392
  • langdale 1.jpg
    langdale 1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 392
Back