7 Speed Cassette Compatibility

Now we know how to space around them, back to the rivets on the HG41 for a second. There is indeed a hole at the 3rd equidistant point. Given both are the same and were sourced very differently in time and source I’m guessing it’s deliberate

Using only two rivets sounds rather odd. I'd expect it to make the cassette slightly unbalanced, so that it is slightly wider at one side, due to slight compression of the plastic spacers between the sprockets. Possibly Shimano discovered that this could make the cassette serve as a crude spring, which helps stop the lockring loosening. This would be the same as using a spring washer to stop a nut and bolt loosening.

No, no and many many times no

It's just a pin that holds the cassette together

So no!

(bops hookooekoo on the nose with a rolled up newspaper)

Shimano are just being cheap

1624385374765.png

No, no and many many times no
Completly right.....there are only two and you don't actually need those! Lots cassettes are loose cog anyway. They are only there to make putting them on easier.

Older cassettes can be undone as they are small bolts threaded into the last but 2 cog. The newer ones seen above are stamped pins. Ive got one on the the bike for the dorris.....just touch each one with a flap disc and they are gone.....it probably wont even fall apart, but it saves the issue of buying a notched spacer, if you already have solid ones to hand.........or just file the spacer!

Bolts vs pins

Attachments

• 20210622_194910.jpg
    20210622_194910.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 1
My two pence worth..... I'm guessing you're trying to fit cassettes with an 11 tooth small cog on an older freehub. Look at your photo of the two feehubs, it's not the splines, it's not the threaded bit on the end, it's the small gap on the end of the spline that lets the final cog go all the way in on the newer freehub. Spacer will fix the problem (as pointed out by LGF) or a cassette with a 12 tooth small cog. Caught me out many years ago too.

Attachments

• Freehubs.jpeg
    Freehubs.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 5
Back