3 Peaks Cyclocross 2012 AKA The Life Aquatic with Ed Zissou

Great read again there Ed. Glad you sacrificed a PB to get the prestigious Lanterne Rouge.

I'm more tempted than ever to get a cross bike and take part next year.
I know exactly who to speak to for any tips...

Absolutely epic Ed, well done for pushing on, brilliant coming last but avoiding a dnf, quite skilful really.

favourite quote...
"I created what can only been described as a horizontal piss cannon – I swear that not a drop hit the deck for 100m or more. I was impressed" :LOL:

Truely awsome read and ride :shock:

However as a write up to inspire me to partake in said event it fails miserably.

No way ever, ever, ever to infinity will I do such a hellishly daft event but bloody well done for doing it Ed, bloody well done and the same to Klaus ;)

Well done Ed,
I'd have probably spectated and got cold but it clashed with a weekend in "Larndarn".
Very good for completing it, although when I got into work on Monday- without having read Retrobike- and a mate told me how one rider got a DNF because he incapacitated himself pedalling into the back of their stationary van on one of the road sections through Horton-in-R, part of me did wonder if it was you!

Old Ned":1fg4ygfi said:

Last year I was the face plant fool in that exact spot, gave up eating farmyard slurry and then just didn't start again as I'd broken my addiction. My approach last weekend? Making good on foot.

yo-eddy":1fg4ygfi said:
Great story (again) Ed, did you use the old Bonty as weapon of choice?

Sadly I was on the IF again as I had b/b issues on the Bontrager that basically left me with two options - run the 48/44 up front or swap out the very wide b/b for a more knee friendly chain set. Unfortunately the non standard b/b cups were installed without grease which at 48 hours before the event kind of made my mind up. I also suspect that the Bontrager may have dissolved in the puddles too. Perhaps next year...... :evil:

Ed,

Great report, you've captured the "day of hell" brilliantly. A big well done for getting round too - many more did not make the cut. It was a bit of a surprise to turn the corner and see the "lake" at the bottom of PYG - i'd recce'd the day before when it was just a large puddle.
I managed to hit the deck pretty much as soon as you hit the first off-road - after the farm - sitting down in the middle of a flood. Unfortunately i also managed to smack my shin into a concrete shelf. Ouch at the time but soon forgotten with the focus on staying upright/alive/moving forward for next few hours. By the end it looked like my leg was on backwards with a sizeable lump sticking out of the front - think being hit by an axe on the shin. No real damage done though and the scar will be a reminder of the worst conditions since 1981.
The moment is captured below.

3peaks2012.jpg

Back