26" MTB Tyre Recommendations

Up-date. I've now managed quite a few rides on my new tyres and I have to say, I'm really pleased with them. I was quite surprised at how little tread there is on the Racing Ray (front) but there is plenty of grip. The thing I am surprised about is how well they roll. My bike feels twice as fast. Honestly, it's been quite a shock after running on Velociraptors for so long. They also feel very lively. I've always felt the bike itself is quite twitchy and I like that feel but again, it's taken me a while to get used to the difference.

The Nobby Nic (stupid, stupid name) on the rear feels great. Loads of feel, plenty of grip and good traction. There is a short climb close to home which is tricky because it's steep, full of loose stones, rocks and with a few tight turns. It was always a struggle to maintain traction with my old tyres but now, the climb is so much easier.

All of my riding so far has been in dry conditions. I'll be interested to see how they perform when it gets wet and slippery.

I can't comment on punctures because...err...I haven't had one. Does this mean the Snakeskin works or have I just been lucky so far? Time will tell.

As for maintaining the 'retro look'? I'm not precious about that if I'm honest. It's performance that really matters. Having said that, I don't think these Schwalbe's look out of place on my bike. I'm very pleased with them.

check out panaracer gravelking SK they come in 26x2.1 and I love mine, they roll well on tarmac too

come in tan wall or not and a few colours

edit: just realised you already found some

No problem. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thanks.

I've used Panracer Darts/Smokes in the past and liked them a lot. I did look at Gravelking's but didn't think the tread pattern would give me enough traction on the type of terrain I normally ride on, especially on climbs.

charliealphamike":17h8ithl said:
No problem. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thanks.

I've used Panracer Darts/Smokes in the past and liked them a lot. I did look at Gravelking's but didn't think the tread pattern would give me enough traction on the type of terrain I normally ride on, especially on climbs.

Ive had good luck on hard pack and gravel, I am running them on my 1989 Bianchi Super Grizzly

for mucky and wet stuff I do think they would be lacking

Mortonm":4zadtbof said:
check out panaracer gravelking SK they come in 26x2.1 and I love mine, they roll well on tarmac too

Seen a few mentions of these in 26" but can't find them for sale...

Captain Stupido":29s1z0dj said:
Mortonm":29s1z0dj said:

Seen a few mentions of these in 26" but can't find them for sale...

They were just released this spring, so maybe they didnt anticipate their popularity

Re:

Gravel king 26" tyres are being bought from bike24.com . Tan wall or black. I think the first load sold out quick but maybe they are re-stocked now.

Old thread revival alert! So I've bought a Racing Ralph and a Nobby Nic based on this thread and nearly snapped my tyre levers getting the Racing Ralph onto an old Sun DS2-XC rim! Are they easier to mount on modern tubeless rims? 🤞

Nobby Nics are great but really hard to find in skinwall 26 inch. In fact any skinwall 26 is hard to find at the moment!

Billy Bonkers are available from eBay and might be worth a look?

But you can't go wrong with Smoke/Dart on a retro bike.
I don’t think Billy bonkers are off road tyres though, I think they are more street or for jump bikes used at skate parks? I have a pair and took them off road (loose gravel) and they washed out very easily

Back