2000 Marin Mount Vision Build

Ive just read the whole thread and what a bike you've built, it still looks great after all that use.
Ive just got a 2000 east peak frame with fox float rear shock (xmas bargain at 35 quid) and started to build it up with a mix of bits out of the parts box. Did you protect the frame after you polished it ? Yours still looks nice and shiny.

Ive just read the whole thread and what a bike you've built, it still looks great after all that use.
Ive just got a 2000 east peak frame with fox float rear shock (xmas bargain at 35 quid) and started to build it up with a mix of bits out of the parts box. Did you protect the frame after you polished it ? Yours still looks nice and shiny.
Cheers! I'm really pleased with how it's turned out, looking forward to the spring when it'll get used for some cross country rides after work!

I didn't protect the frame, but the finish is still pretty darn good. I never got to a high polish in the first place, so the fact that it dulled a tiny bit as the surface oxidised didn't bother me. I didn't want to clear coat it, as I was worried moisture would get in underneath, which always looks terrible. Occasionally I give it a run down with a bit of GT85, but that's more just to keep it clean than anything else.

Have you got a build thread for yours? Looking forward to seeing how it comes out!

Cheers! I'm really pleased with how it's turned out, looking forward to the spring when it'll get used for some cross country rides after work!

I didn't protect the frame, but the finish is still pretty darn good. I never got to a high polish in the first place, so the fact that it dulled a tiny bit as the surface oxidised didn't bother me. I didn't want to clear coat it, as I was worried moisture would get in underneath, which always looks terrible. Occasionally I give it a run down with a bit of GT85, but that's more just to keep it clean than anything else.

Have you got a build thread for yours? Looking forward to seeing how it comes out!
Cheers, I was worried that if I polished it the lacquer might not adhere properly and look worse than now. I think your method of a wipe down with gt85 will do for me.
I have just started a thread I don’t know how to share a link but it’s new on today.

Just back from an epic overnighter on Dartmoor on the Mount Vision :D

1716657945877.png

Full write up here:

Re:

Had a proper go at the frame this afternoon. Other than the cable rub all seems perfectly sound. The rub is pretty deep (maybe 75% of the tube thickness!) but at least it's in a part of the frame that won't be under much stress, especially when standing on the pedals (i.e. descending, where it matters most).

I rubbed the frame down with 200 grit wet & dry followed by 600 grit, then gave it a good polish up with the silvo from the cutlery drawer. Took about three hours in total, and I'm quite pleased with the result :)

The rear swing arm is also in need of TLC. I've rubbed it down and prepped it for a coat of paint, but I'm still mulling over possible paint jobs and ways to build it up, so that'll have to wait a bit.

The rear pivot bearings seem in good nick, but the shock mount hardware is all over the place having been bodged together with the wrong size shock bushes, wrong length bolts without proper washers etc.

It looks like it might be quite difficult (and over priced!) to source a replacement official shock mount kit, so I'll probably improvise something suitable from a local hardware store. I'm sure fleabay will offer a cheap and cheerful suitable replacement shock bush.

The shock itself moves smoothly enough but has been de-pressurised and I don't own a shock pump, so not sure if that will need attention yet. If it's in working order, the £1.04 I paid for the shock and frame was a bit of a bargain!
There are loads of these knocking about. Someone might be able to provide the mounting hardware for not much? There is a letter frame for sale on here for £10 if you can pick it up, with float shock!

There are loads of these knocking about. Someone might be able to provide the mounting hardware for not much? There is a letter frame for sale on here for £10 if you can pick it up, with float shock!
Thanks @Tricky1977!

Finished this build a few years ago now (see the rest of the rather long thread!) and it's been a gem of a bike.

Hope you get the same enjoyment out of your current build!

Back