2000 Marin Mount Vision Build

Re:

I'm staying with the originals that are on the bike, I've sold the "Orango" swing arm and the Orange fork will be sold shortly.

Re: Re:

boswell":3kkkghuw said:
I'm staying with the originals that are on the bike, I've sold the "Orango" swing arm and the Orange fork will be sold shortly.

:cool: I'll be interested in the forks when you come to sell them. :)

Just back from another weekend bridleway bash. The trails have dried up nicely now and it's pretty much perfect riding weather too :D

Today's ride didn't have anything particular technical or challenging (other than some bloomin' steep climbs) - it's one of the few local routes I'm able to limp around on a rigid SS.

The Mount Vision is arguably over-biked for this sort of route, or at least it certainly reduces the amount of skill required on the ups and downs. Lowering the handlebars has made the ride feel a bit more engaging for general XC routes. For this particular route the bike would probably feel awesome with drop bars!

I'm usually a bit of a fiddler with my bikes, and like to tweak seat height, stem length etc. I fully expected to be doing that on this bike over the last few months, but since swapping out the risers for flat bars, everything is pretty much spot on (or at least a spot on compromise) for the riding I do.

Only change has been to swap the cheaper Wellgo V8 copies with integrated pins, which had become rather worn, for the ones off another bike with replaceable pins. This vastly improved the grippiness on rocky downhills, and I feel a bit more confident now after having lost my footing twice on the same section of trail with the previous pedals.

It wasn't even too much of a pig to pedal on the roads. If I had to go down to a single MTB, this would be it :cool:

Having said that I have some shiny new bits to swap onto my 2010 GT Avalanche this weekend... which is definitely a better bike for bombing downhill like a lunatic >:D

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_122456_compress55.jpg
    IMG_20200502_122456_compress55.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_20200502_133148_compress37.jpg
    IMG_20200502_133148_compress37.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_20200502_132320_compress92.jpg
    IMG_20200502_132320_compress92.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 704
Cheers!

I'm spoiled for choice with local bridleways around me, and Dartmoor/Exmoor a short drive away. This was one of the tamer routes, but still lovely mid-Devon scenery the whole way around and very little road links required.

Just checked Strava and I also managed a few top ten places on some (climbing! never gonna happen on the way down) segments along the way.

They are classy looking bikes, aren't they :cool:

Only downside to the clean lines of the frame is there's no good place to put bottle cage mounts... there's one set on top of the top tube (which looks shite if you put a cage on it, with the added possibly of nuts to water bottle contact on an unplanned dismount), and another underneath the down tube (where it's gonna get covered in shite!).

Back