2000 Commencal Supernormal - sent to try me

Re:

Some more details I've found about these frames from period promotional material.
The tubes are stretched and of variable thickness, with the centre of the tubes less than 1mm thick in places which apparently was exceptional for aluminium frames at the time. All the frame tubes are made from the same material, cold-forged 7005 aluminium, including the machined parts such as the wishbone and the dropouts.
The downtube is conical in shape in order to provide a larger cross-section at the bottom bracket where the torsional forces are greatest. The wshbone itself apparently weighs 74g.
The chain stays are ovalized vertically in their front part to provide greater tyre clearance while their shape in the central part gives them great lateral rigidity despite there being no bridge between the stays while also giving a degree of vertical flexibility for rider comfort.
The frames are TIG welded and subjected to T4 heat treatment after welding. Any parts which were subjected to deformations due to heating during welding are reworked in order to be completely aligned, in particular bottom bracket threads and faces, the top and bottom surfaces of the headtube and the bore of the seat tube. The frame is then subjected to a T6 heat treatment to give optimal rigidity and solidity.

The frame geometry was designed around 70 - 100 mm travel forks with an ideal axle-to-crown length of 438mm and is intended to give standard angles of 71/73 when the rider gets on and the fork sags. The rest of the geometry is designed to provide good maneuverability for technical areas, and optimal performance and good stability for downhill.
They say that in addition to giving a tighter main triangle to stiffen the fram, the sloping top tube allows riders who want a more stretched riding position to choose a larger frame without being limited by its height.

The frames were painted in several stages. First a coat of primer was applied, followed by a colour coat, and then a first coat of acrylic varnish. The stickers were then applied before a second coat of varnish was applied. Everything used to clean and paint the frame was apparently completely recycled and environmentally friendly. The driveside chainstay and the underside of the downtube are protected by specially shaped Bikeshield stickers made of a "self-healing" material.

Re:

Well I got a new rear mech hanger from Commencal. I was pleasantly surprised that these are still available. Looks slightly thicker than the original.

IMG-1667.jpg

Fitted it onto the bike and put the M570 Deore LX rear mech back on. The cable had been cut shorter for the modern Alivio rear mech and was too short for the M570 LX so had to order a new cable, but then was able to get the shifting spot on straight away. The new cable is silver while the cable for the front mech is black, which may bug me....

I'm annoyed at myself for not looking into getting a new rear mech hanger first and trying that. I spent almost £115 on labour, the new Alivio rear mech and a new chain at the bike shop, when all it needed was a £20 part and a bit of my time. Lesson learned

Re: Re:

Sjh1986":o9getgm8 said:
How does it ride? Been offered one of these frames so would be good to know

With the caveat that I've mainly been riding this on road as its been pressed into service as a commuter, and I've not ridden other aluminium MTBs to compare it to, I like it very much.
The geometry is very similar to Sunns of the period - this has a 1mm shorter top tube and wheel base, 10mm shorter head tube. I've ridden a lot of those and like them a lot, so this feels very familiar to me. I don't notice it feeling particularly harsh riding, but I do know I've been riding it afterwards. That might be more down to the current state of the rider though.

Re:

If it makes you feel any better I have a steel one that is proving an absolute mare to sort

Re: Re:

coomber":1jxwq1ai said:
If it makes you feel any better I have a steel one that is proving an absolute mare to sort

Misery loves company ;-)

What model is yours, and what issues are you having?
With hindsight most of my problems with weredue to a bent mech hanger and the oversize chainstays necessitating on unusual front mech, plus a few worn out components and me not being careful with the bits it came with. FWIW I'm glad I persevered.

Re:

Supernormal.

Got bottom bracket out. At last.

Binded water bottle - so rivet has come out.

And seatpost is going to need caustic soda to remove.

Back