20 years ago today . . .

Re:

1996 Claude butler Zagato. put grey tioga physco tyres club roost i beam stem on it, club roost saddle. a good looking bike for a 14 year old. broke my jaw on it after 2 weeks riding it.lol
oh and onza bar ends!

Re:

It was around 89/90 when I got my first proper MTB (it was it atb?), A Raleigh Cajun. I've never seen a other but loved the colour scheme, dark blue fading into a lighter blue into white (just seen a modernish cannondale in the same colour and I want one). Frame and forks and bars were Reynolds 531, groupset was exage trail or mountain I forget which. Never seen another as it goes, it was a great bike, and the cannondale I saw a few days ago really reminded me of it. Soon after this I got a fantastic giant in purple/blue/pink flip paint, deore DX groupset which when stolen was replaced by an rys-2. Then there was about a 10-15 year gap, then retro bike, then way too many bikes......

Re:

1988 Raleigh Mirage bought by my folks (after months of enthusiastic pestering by me :LOL: ) Christmas 88 or 89, I forget exactly which year it was now. Joined the local cycling club soon after then rode and raced that bike for several happy years. Eventually replaced when I bought a Dyna-tech Ogre in 92 which I still own; all be it with a replacement frame after a high speed interaction with a rather larger hole in a trail snapped the first one in half.

1987. I bought a Raleigh Magnum. I lived in Finchley and bought it there from a still existing bike shop. I would arse around on Hampstead Heath as n my way to and from work and up to the wilds of whetstone. I couldn't afford the rare pleasure of a muddy fox explorer or a red Marin with yellow decals? So the Magnum was it. Eventually sold it to a mate and got a univega which only left a couple of years ago.

Pure sex........

Attachments

• 4E9A4594-C7E2-44C6-9280-97703181B4B8-3353-00000A3411284020.jpeg
    4E9A4594-C7E2-44C6-9280-97703181B4B8-3353-00000A3411284020.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 495
February 1986, Overbury's Pioneer XC, £618 of saved up dole money well spent :) :

In need of a refurb, but still in the quiver.

All the best,

Attachments

• scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 491
Re:

A 1990 Marin Pine Mountain.

Here it is some 20 odd years later:

Marin2.jpg

Sadly it was stolen a few years ago not long after I'd repainted it and was using it as a runabout.

Feb of 1992, got a NOS 1989 DB Apex, just about to head off for Uni, needed transport... too bad I spent more time riding than studying...

Re:

Slight thread drift, as 20years ago to this day I was taking part in Day 2 of the Pedal Hounds BMB Southern Downhill series, probably one of my last races. Sadly the date stuck in my memory because of Princess Di, rather than my performance on the course! 11th place :roll:
Found the results on line :shock:
http://www.mikrotime.com/mtb/rus1sun.html

Oooh, 1986 and it was a true temper tubed Greyhound with bullmoose bars and knobbly tyres. Gave it to a mate in 1991.

Re: Re:

ishaw":2vh50rcl said:
It was around 89/90 when I got my first proper MTB (it was it atb?), A Raleigh Cajun. I've never seen a other but loved the colour scheme, dark blue fading into a lighter blue into white (just seen a modernish cannondale in the same colour and I want one). Frame and forks and bars were Reynolds 531, groupset was exage trail or mountain I forget which. Never seen another as it goes, it was a great bike, and the cannondale I saw a few days ago really reminded me of it. Soon after this I got a fantastic giant in purple/blue/pink flip paint, deore DX groupset which when stolen was replaced by an rys-2. Then there was about a 10-15 year gap, then retro bike, then way too many bikes......

Old Fishers have a model that's two tone blue fade, I think Stumpjumper1990 has one. Panasonic had a model in two tone blue and white too, I'm sure I've seen one on here.

Back