1x8 with wide range cassette - does it work well?

Knightrider

Orange 🍊 Fan
For my '98 Orange O2 refresh, I am currently trying to decide whether to replace the drivetrain with new deore 1x10 (expensive option, avaiability is painful atm), or reuse the current RD (XT m739 8sp) and LX shifter and fit a wide-range 8sp cassette (11-40 or 11-42) for a 1x8 setup. I have seen in previous posts that a few people have done this and would welcome experiences? I want something useable for XC/trails - nothing too crazy.

For those of you that have done it - does the RD reach or did you need a goat link/road link? What chainring did you use - I am thinking NW 30t? Are the jumps between gears OK?

I set up my ‘97 Marin with 1x8 for primarily road use: currently Hope 38T narrow wide front (not pictured), Sunrace 11-40T rear, Sunrace thumbie-style 8-speed shifter. The shifting is vague in the middle ratios but I put that down to the shifter indexing - it has some wiggle room. With Shimano I’d expect to be okay. The ratios are good enough to get up the steepest road hill with a cog in reserve. Down a steep hill it will spin out. Off-road of course is a different ballgame. The ratios are quite a jump apart for road use but you get used to it and no real drama. If I was doing it again, I’d go for 9-sp. The cassette came with a hanger extender which works perfect and I’d imagine is required. D14032AF-EF2B-40E5-8B06-54338AB0A67D.jpeg

Thanks. Did you find the chain guide necessary?

I guess I could go to 9sp - I am swapping cassette, chainring and chain, so the only difference would be swapping to a 9sp shifter as the M739 should work fine with 9sp? But then if I am replacing everything apart form the RD, might as well go modern 10 speed....?!

The chain was coming off the front occasionally. The guide solved that but it was poor quality and soon got thread damage with my overtightening probably. Why I switched to narrowwide, which works well. I think the rear mech should work with 9 speed and maybe 10. there is info on Sheldon I think. The ratio jump thing depends on your riding. Off -road, I find I’m often doing extreme changes so lack of finesse may not be such a problem. You could consider trying 8sp first for the price of a cassette. Sunrace is quite affordable and the cassette works well.

I do quite like the idea of using the old original parts rather than replacing with shiny need non-retro stuff... The sunrace 8sp cassettes at the moment seem to be £50 unless I wait for one from China. Amazon and ebay have a few cheaper options - not sure of quality, but just to test whether I am happy with ratios/jumps etc., I could try with the existing chain and middle ring and then replace the rest if it works...

Back