1x7 drivetrain

Stanflashm4n

Devout Dirtbag
I’m just about to start a project for a friend, he’s moving abroad and wanted me to make him something for cycling around the city. I’ve got a 1992 marin eldridge frame gathering dust so thought id use that, he doesn’t want anything too shiny which is lucky because this frame definitely isn’t that. My idea was to make it a 1x7 as I currently ride a 92 bear valley round without a front derailleur and to me 7 gears is plenty in a reasonably flat city, plus I like how a single chainring looks . I was just about to buy a 110 bcd narrow wide but then I wondered if using a ring designed for 9 , 10 or 11 speed chain would be a problem? Chain widths are different? Or should I just take a couple of the chainrings off the existing ones ? Or forget all that and make it a 3x7 as it was!

Just use 1 of existing 3 rings or a 7/8 speed ring if want a different size front from current 3. Maybe use a locked out front mech to aid chain retention.

As long as you use the correct chain for the chain ring all will be fine, 7/8 speed chains are slightly wider so may cause issues on the narrow/wide chainring, 9 speed chain will fine on a 7 speed cassette

Thanks for the advice, so in theory if I get a 9 speed chain then that should work fine with a narrow wide chainring ( was thinking something between 36-42 teeth) and a 7 speed cassette and derailleur? If I decide to go that route… I’m still not really sure if a narrow wide is necessary , the chain has never come off my bike on the front ring whilst riding on the road (without a FD) and finding a cheap 5 bolt 110 bcd narrow wide (to fit the existing cranks) isn’t proving that easy

As long as you use the correct chain for the chain ring all will be fine, 7/8 speed chains are slightly wider so may cause issues on the narrow/wide chainring, 9 speed chain will fine on a 7 speed cassette

Not so. The INSIDE of the chain is identical for 7, 8 and 9. There will be no issue.

Try Superstar Components for decent value (and very hard-wearing in my experience) narrow wide 110mm 5-arm chainrings.

Is the NW chainring really necessary for city riding? The purpose of nw is chain retention when the chain bounces in rough terrain in the chain line extremeties (which are used in1x lot more than when riding 3x as it shoul be used). I think you might be fine with normal mid chainwheel. At least try it first.

I ran several bikes with a single chainring (with ramps) a few years ago. It was generally ok, but the chain did come off occasionally. It was when I changed gear and went over a bump in the road at just the same moment. After it came off 2 or 3 times I went back to running them with double chainrings and a front mech.

Not so. The INSIDE of the chain is identical for 7, 8 and 9. There will be no issue.

Try Superstar Components for decent value (and very hard-wearing in my experience) narrow wide 110mm 5-arm chainrings.

Interesting, why do lots of these chainrings specify x speed chains if there is no difference? I just looked at the triple crankset I have, the middle ring has obviously been replaced and even that has ‘9/10 speed’ marked on it. I’m probably overthinking this but I’m finding drivetrain compatibility quite confusing 😆 so apologies for the probably stupid questions. Because im
doing this bike for someone else and in a bit of a hurry I wanna get it right if I can .
Can anyone see any issues with:
Shimano RD M567 (deore lx)
Shimano CS HG41 11-28t 7speed cassette
KMC X8 chain
and either all 3 or one of the chainrings pictured ( shimano SH C46, TA zephyr 36-110 , shimano SG C24)
Or a new narrow wide chainring probably superstar raptor 110 bcd as I’ve now been recommended them by two separate people on here!

Attachments

• 9247C524-469E-42DA-BF7F-904053D899E9.jpeg
    9247C524-469E-42DA-BF7F-904053D899E9.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 2
I use 9/10 speed zephyr rings on most of my mountain bikes.....with 7 and 8 speed gearing. Used with an 8 speed chain no issues whatsoever.

The higher the speed gets the main difference is the thinner the walls of the link get...hence they stretch faster as they are not as strong.

Back