1x vs 3x: The Maths

What is the problem with front derailleurs? I don't find them all that troublesome. There is a cable puling against a spring, not much to go wrong. If they aren't aligned, you twist a screw. I have literally never had one fail me.
Agree with this and made the point plenty when Sram 1x11 first came out and everyone decided it was ace because front mechs were terrible. Simple and easy to set up for me and I'm average with a spanner at best!

Also agree with the point made above. All systems have merits, 1x is here to stay (good thing for full suss development) but no system is miles better or worse than the other so not worth worrying about.

Agree with this and made the point plenty when Sram 1x11 first came out and everyone decided it was ace because front mechs were terrible. Simple and easy to set up for me and I'm average with a spanner at best!

Also agree with the point made above. All systems have merits, 1x is here to stay (good thing for full suss development) but no system is miles better or worse than the other so not worth worrying about.
Yes, rear derailleurs are much more problematic but they ate the only ones left on a 1x set up 😱

Yes, rear derailleurs are much more problematic but they ate the only ones left on a 1x set up 😱
I genuinely think rear derailleurs are a doddle to set up. Even modern clutch mechs. Front we're harder because they can move up and down the seat tube, around the seat tube, have cable tension and limit screws to consider. Even when perfectly set, they still rubbed in some gears making those ratios redundant (as per the OP).
Give me a rear mech any day.

I genuinely think rear derailleurs are a doddle to set up. Even modern clutch mechs. Front we're harder because they can move up and down the seat tube, around the seat tube, have cable tension and limit screws to consider
Ummmm opbommf8zci61.png
Seems a little bit more complex. Has a front derailleur hanger ever bent? Has the cage on the front struck obstacles because it was too close to the ground? The complexity of front shifting has been vastly overstated. If it was actually about simplicity, we'd all be on 3x1.

Of course i need another bike, I can't possibly go for a ride in the woods on a dutch shopper in lycra, even if i put spd's on it.
Nah! As long as it hasn't got a front derailleur on it, you'd be fine to hit those berms like a good'un. ;)

UmmmmView attachment 664510
Seems a little bit more complex. Has a front derailleur hanger ever bent? Has the cage on the front struck obstacles because it was too close to the ground? The complexity of front shifting has been vastly overstated. If it was actually about simplicity, we'd all be on 3x1.
What the heck is that?!!

I'll not sleep tonight 💤😱 for nightmares about mutated rear mechs!!!

Back