1x vs 3x: The Maths

But they are. Find me a modern 3x bike. We have all been forced on to a particular setup already.
But why would you want to buy a modern bike with a 3x set up when you have have the same functionality with 1x?
You can't but CRT tvs anymore either...
Someone above posted a link to the touring group set, could always "upgrade". 😉

But they are. Find me a modern 3x bike. We have all been forced on to a particular setup already.

First hit with a simple search, though it seems unsure what speed it should be.... 😂

Second hit

I don't personally cheer the death of 3x, it does give a greater range and its a proven system, but seeing as I've hated front derailleurs more than rear derailleurs, I'm going to say that I won't raise a drink for the finicky front.

I don't personally cheer the death of 3x, it does give a greater range and its a proven system, but seeing as I've hated front derailleurs more than rear derailleurs, I'm going to say that I won't raise a drink for the finicky front.
I too don't cheer the demise, but let's not forget that the introduction of 3x was just Shimano doing the upgrade trail in the 90s. It was all about more gears, 6, 7, 8, 9 x3 before we started heading the other way. None of asked for it, but performance did improve and has continued to do so. Like all retro kit, I love 3x7, 8 and 9 because that was my aspiration as a teenager, but do any of them hold a candle in terms of performance to modern 1x 11 or 12? IMHO, no way.

What is the problem with front derailleurs? I don't find them all that troublesome. There is a cable puling against a spring, not much to go wrong. If they aren't aligned, you twist a screw. I have literally never had one fail me.

What is the problem with front derailleurs? I don't find them all that troublesome. There is a cable puling against a spring, not much to go wrong. If they aren't aligned, you twist a screw. I have literally never had one fail me.
I am not a very intuitive person 🤪

Well, I guess based upon most of the above comments that I'm in the minority when I say, "I love 1X bikes!". :)

I have a 2x10 SRAM setup on my 2013 Whyte 129 full suss 29er, 1x11 on my 2016 GT Grade Gravel bike (an upgrade to GRX 810 drive chain from the stock 105 double) and 1x on my 1996 GT bravado resto mod gravel bike (middleburn and Shimano Deore 10 speed with clutch). I've also had dozens of bikes with 3x over the years.
I can say hand on heart that when riding either of the 1x, I never think to myself "I wish I had more ratios". Like one of the previous posters said, if the hill is too steep, I change to an easier gear, if I'm flying downhill and spin out the pedals (rare on any bike these days, too scared of crashing) then I freewheel and have a little rest.
My 1x bikes are easier to set up, look cleaner/simpler and have fewer parts to adjust/break/replace. The chain line can look a bit stretched at the extremes of the cassette on the GRX setup, but I do a couple of thousand miles a year on this bike (as it suits the terrain where I live) and I can honestly say I don't think I am wearing out chains any faster than on a 3x set up. A much bigger factor in chain wear for me seems to be keeping the drive chain clean and freshly lubed. Where I live hills that require the biggest cog at the rear are few and far between, so the occasional use doesn't equal massive chain wear.

It does amuse me that some people get so animated about this subject - nobody is forcing anybody else to choose a particular setup, so just use what works for you! :)
Different horses for different courses, maybe? 🤔

Back