1998 Sunn Exact bare metal build

Re:

Cheers again for the positive comments guys.
I’m not sure on the weight of the bike as I don’t own a suitable set of scales at the moment - I’ll see if I can track a set down though.
The yellow cable protection was inspired by the catalogue pics ibbz uploaded on this thread - ideally it should be nylon but after looking on a few forums I found that people use silicone rig tubing. Normally some sort of fishing gear (no idea) - it comes in a variety of colours and should last well, looks neat fitted, I’ll definitely be doing this on other bikes. I used 2.0mm i.d stuff which cost £2 for 2m - bargain.
Thanks for pointing out about the hubs too, sorry I did mean ti glide, I’m also building an Airbourne at the moment and that has bulb hubs. Maybe too many bikes? Nah!

Attachments

• 70BE8E45-4E94-401D-8530-F581CC4E5D78.png
    70BE8E45-4E94-401D-8530-F581CC4E5D78.png
    222.4 KB · Views: 283
Brilliant.... I’ve been after replacement tubing that covers exposed cables for retro builds for ages... couldn’t for the life of me find anything suitable. Just ordered some off EBay...
Thank you...

Re:

Now with added slickness.. found these used tyres on eBay in good order and thought I’d try them on the sunn beens it’s only ever going to see road use (possibly the odd summer byway too). They’re specialized nimbus 26x1.50 with tan walls, it rolls really smooth with these on.
If my cheapo Chinese weight scales are to be believed then the bike weighs in at 11.1kg in its current guise.
I’m holding off on the new chainring atm - I have a hankering to go 3x8 with this in the future maybe? I have the correct shifter already, would just need new chainrings and front derailleur..
Just waiting to use it and see how I feel, but I reckon on the roads it’ll probably run out of gearing..

Attachments

• BD1D3E6E-2EF1-4399-89E2-9267DDF01CBE.jpeg
    BD1D3E6E-2EF1-4399-89E2-9267DDF01CBE.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 209
Time for an update on this. I’ve slowed down with my builds of late but this frame is still in my possession and I was inspired to dig it out recently. Reason being is, I built this Kona for my son:
07318E53-98A7-4BDA-B0AA-950B4B005A4A.jpeg
Too small for me to ride but I loved the simplicity of 1x9 on a light steel frame, 80mm forks and bars with a bit of rise.
Got the Sunn out the loft and started piecing it together with parts I’ve been hoarding(!)..
So far:
IMG_2281.jpeg IMG_2282.jpeg IMG_2280.jpeg
Just waiting on a 9 speed cassette and chain and should be able to finish it off.
Currently has Mavic D521 rims on Hope/XT hubs but there’s literally a mm or 2 clearance on the front with no means of adjustment so we’ll see how that goes.. Magura HS33’s and SRAM XO/X9, cranks are Deore lx polished with a 38t narrow/wide chainring.
She’s looking great again and feels light too, looking forward to trying it out.

Back