1998 Specialized Rockhopper fs

Dexter101

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

So full story on this bike...

A family member asked for somewhere store a bike for a friend about 7 years ago. I had space in my garage, tucked it away and he then said he didn't want it back. Its been there until last week when my 2 year old spotted it and wanted to go for a bike ride. She cant ride her bike yet but i decided that it was worth me tidying it up to use.

I used to do a bit of xc in my teens but haven't really ridden much since.

Plan on tidying it up, getting it rideable and starting to rebuild it.

Have messed around building bikes previously (resprayed and built single speed road bike when i was ar uni) but lots i havent done for a while.

Anyway, enough about me.. the bike

On closer inspection, looks like has had parts swapped from a saracen bike at some point. Namely wheels (tyres are saracen branded... and are cracked) which also appears to have 7 speed cassette whereas shifter is 8 speed.

Handlebar is also saracen branded.

Will be asking lots of questions and will try and keep an updatd going!

Attachments

• 20200519_172637.jpg
    20200519_172637.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 347
Re: 1997 (?) Specialized Rockhopper

Captain Stupido":3l7lb992 said:
Nice bike. I have an original stem and handlebars if you need them, drop me a pm. :)

Thanks dude, will have a look and get in touch!

My 97 Rockhopper rides like a dream, looking forward to seeing you rebuild it. The oem v brakes on it are trash though

Re:

So last night I gave it a wash, pumped the tyres (which are cracked) and took it for a 20m spin round the garden.

Whoever changed the handlebar didnt do anything with the cables so i got the brakes working but the derailieurs cables are so tight the shifting isnt working and feels so tight turning the handlebars so that is my next job.

There are a few patches where the paint has worn through but its cleaned up nicely with a bucket, sponge and quick wipe down with a quick detailer.

Re:

Grabbed another 15 mins in the garage this evening to tackle the lack of gear change. The rear is now changing smoothly across 7 rings (just have to remember not to press one more click!) Took it for a quick spin up the road and it is a really lovely bike to ride even in the condition it is!

Front derailieur is giving me a bit more to think about. The cable is way too tight so doesnt like going up to the big ring. Slackened off the cable as it was so tight at the shifter but hasnt slackened off at all. Still rideable but have given it a bit of wd40 love along the cable and will have another look tomorrow.

I hate front derailleurs with a passion, never liked the design. 1x for me.

Its great at that stage the joy of getting it all working again and feeling the differences

ritchey logic nitanium? I had a '98 that i rode into the ground, just donated it to the local co-op. great bike with a longer top tube, I really enjoyed it. Mine was gold coloured, though they came in this blue too.

klasse":1vdh6zan said:
ritchey logic nitanium? I had a '98 that i rode into the ground, just donated it to the local co-op. great bike with a longer top tube, I really enjoyed it. Mine was gold coloured, though they came in this blue too.

It does have some of a ritchey sticker near the bb! Really pleased with how it rides so far. Reminds me of the enjoyment I got from riding as a teenager which modern bikes arent really delivering (had a couple of road bikes and mountain bikes over past few years but just havent enioyed the feel of them

Back