1997 Kona Lava Dome

Small update on this as follows:

The long haired colonel didn't like the grips I originally fitted so I changed them out for a set of Supacaz grips I had floating around, Zoe was also struggling with the reach slightly so I picked up a cheap Kore stem to experiment with...

kore.jpg

Stem is overall in good shape however the bolts were rotten so i had a dig around in the bolt stash and found suitable replacements albeit too long so i trimmed them down...

bolts.jpg bolt.jpg bolts 2.jpg cut bolt.jpg

The stem doesn't suit the bike but if the reach is good than i may well try and find a stem closer to the original to replace it with.

stem lava.jpg

I have some XT brake levers on the way so I can liberate the XTR one's for my Hei Hei build as finding a set of these that aren't ridiculous money is proving difficult!

Attachments

• grip.jpg
    grip.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 8
after much thought and deliberation I have decided to let the Lava Dome go, with the addition of a Kilauea recently I need to make room in the stable.

The frame/fork and all the original parts from the LD will be for sale as a job lot together with a couple of sets of wheels, I will put a for sale thread up asap.

thats a shame hope it goes to a good home

im sure it will do, will try my best to sell to another forum member. all the Resto work is done so it would be an easy frame swap for someone or re-build with the OG parts supplied. I will get round to writing a for sale thread once I've stripped the parts off that I want for my Kilauea.

im sure it will do, will try my best to sell to another forum member. all the Resto work is done so it would be an easy frame swap for someone or re-build with the OG parts supplied. I will get round to writing a for sale thread once I've stripped the parts off that I want for my Kilauea.
Hi mate, could be v interested if this is 18"? :)

How much?

@mk one @thefunkymunki to be completely transparent @Magpiegifts was the first to show interest in this and i offered him the following package at £230 shipped:

'I will strip the LD down to the frameset and transfer most of the parts shown on the build currently to my Kilauea. the sale will include the following:

LD Frame,
original p2 fork,
Orbit MX sealed bearing headset (as new, ridden twice since build)
original stem (bolts replaced with new stainless hardware)
original race light bar
avid single digit levers & brakes
sram grip shift
extra set of Shimano rapid-fire shifters
STX front Mech
LX rear mech
original Mavic wheels (238 rims from memory) with Shimano hubs, wear consistent with age and free hub body would ideally need to be replaced as slips intermittently.
extra set of Mavic 221 wheels with lx hubs, wear consistent with age but perfectly usuable
7/8 speed used Shimano cassettes
original Sugino triple chainset, chainrings in good condition
mixture of Hutchinson slick & Conti tyres
new repro Kona chain stay from Retrodecals, not currently fitted

All the parts have been stripped down and thoroughly cleaned aside from the original 238 wheels as my initial intention was to rebuild the bike with the original parts but I replaced the brakes with xtr and then got carried away. it'll be supplied in component form as will be easier to ship that way without damage.'

minimal parts will be required to rebuild the bike, when i get time i will put a for sale thread up.

Back