1997 Kona Lava Dome

primo

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Having recently finished rebuilding this 97 Lava Dome I thought it was time to put up a build thread.

The bike came to me in almost completely original factory spec aside from the saddle, grips, tyres, pedals & a USE chain device. Whilst it looked pretty rough initially with wear & tear to the paint & decals & overall filthy the frame is solid with no major corrosion or dents. The paint & decals are original and I believe this to possibly be a late 97 model as it doesn't have the canti cable guide on the seat stays, happy to be corrected/educated on this from anyone that would know?

I stripped the bike down to the bare bones and thoroughly cleaned everything, the frame and fork were polished and then waxed to protect the paint and came up better than anticipated. I had a few spare parts floating around so decided to upgrade from the original spec and sourced most of the remaining items I needed through members on the forum, overall i'm really happy with the end result and the bike rides beautifully.

Spec now as follows...

Frame: 1997 Kona Lava Dome
Fork: 1997 Project Two

Headset: FSA Orbit MX
Stem: Alloy unbranded, original to bike
Stem Cap: FSA
Handlebar: Kona Race Light
Grips: Velo

Brakes: XTR BR-M951
Brake Pads: Fibrax Yellow
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: XTR BL-M950

Shifters: XT SL-M740
Front Derailleur: XT FD-M739
Rear Derailleur: XT RD-M739
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Sram PG-850, A2Z Alloy lock ring
Chain: KMC X9-SL
Cranks: LX FC-M569
Crank Bolts: FSA
Chainring bolts: FSA
Bottom Bracket: BB-UN72
Pedals: BBB ClassicRide (reflectors removed)

Hub Skewers: A2Z Ti
Rims: Mavic X517
Hubs: XT M737
Spokes: DT
Tyres: Michelin Taiga
Tubes: Hutchinson

Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost: Kona Race Light
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Weight: TBC

Before & after photos below..

Attachments

• LD Before.JPG
    LD Before.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 175
  • LD Before 2.jpg
    LD Before 2.jpg
    854.3 KB · Views: 184
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 186
  • After 1.jpg
    After 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 188
  • After 2.jpg
    After 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
I do like that green. I think the 95-97 bikes had the best colours. That’s a tidy build 👍

Very nice indeed. I was so close to buying one of these on eBay recently but just couldn't bring myself to, as I already have a green Lava dome ('94)... Kinda wish I had, but I'm holding out for a 20" '97 Kilauea....

Very nice indeed. I was so close to buying one of these on eBay recently but just couldn't bring myself to, as I already have a green Lava dome ('94)... Kinda wish I had, but I'm holding out for a 20" '97 Kilauea....
thanks, the 94 green is a lovely colour. I've built this up for the other half & currently finishing off a 98 Explosif also. I can imagine a Kilauea won't be easy to find in 20''..

Mine was resprayed when I had the frame repaired. It's much darker than original, but it was the only green I liked that Bob Jackson's had in their standard colour options. Kind of wish I'd not had it resprayed now, but I had the dropouts replaced, as the driveside had snapped.
thanks, the 94 green is a lovely colour. I've built this up for the other half & currently finishing off a 98 Explosif also. I can imagine a Kilauea won't be easy to find in 20''..

Back