1997 Kona King Kahuna Hei Hei

One side more successful that the other.

Happy so far though

Attachments

• 010C45CB-F736-4D8D-8E02-E501827C4199.jpeg
    010C45CB-F736-4D8D-8E02-E501827C4199.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 48
Looking great!

What isn't so great is all these people simultaneously hunting XTR gear cable housing!

I think I'll just give up on that, and get some standard SIS shit instead.

No way I'll come out tops against you two!

PS. Can I confess I sort of wish you'd gone for something other than the Hope stuff?

Not to be a bummer/hater, just that I think this frame is such a find, and would really look so much nicer (IMHO!) with an older, period-correct headset, Etc.

Seems a shame to go the modern route when it looks like everything else you're sourcing is so spot-on.

Then again, you could always switch those bits out later when something perfect and affordable rears it's head on eBay or here?

Or just ignore me.

As most do!

Decals look good using the lower bottle cage mount as a refrence for the K of Kona. I have decal`d up a few in my time.

BITD Bike in Bristol used to have a shed load of original Kona decals.

And a King headset would've been ideal and well suited to the frame

Last edited:
PS. Can I confess I sort of wish you'd gone for something other than the Hope stuff?

Not to be a bummer/hater, just that I think this frame is such a find, and would really look so much nicer (IMHO!) with an older, period-correct headset, Etc.

Seems a shame to go the modern route when it looks like everything else you're sourcing is so spot-on.

Then again, you could always switch those bits out later when something perfect and affordable rears it's head on eBay or here?

Or just ignore me.

As most do!

Yeah you’re right and I agree. It’s just the risk you take and difficulty in finding these things. It’s such an integral part of bike performance I figured I would go new.

I did look at Chris King but they don’t do matching seatpost clamp.

If you have a NOS 1/18 headset lying around and want to sell then please let me know.

I know I’ll be treading the line of period correct on this one vs a few modern upgrades. For example the wheels won’t be to everyone’s taste I know.

Really appreciate the feedback here, this is what the thread is for.

Matt

XTR 950 hubs on Mavic 717.

Won’t be everyone’s choice I know.

Need to get the cassette switched to the 950 one.

Attachments

• E541E48D-9487-4DEA-9DD2-901AF1B90516.jpeg
    E541E48D-9487-4DEA-9DD2-901AF1B90516.jpeg
    589.8 KB · Views: 15
Back