1997 GT STS

addicted

Retro Guru
So here is my story.

I joined the forum a couple days ago and I am looking at all the beautiful bikes on the site. Started to look at the big GT following on the site and see a couple of really nice STS's. So last night I grab a beer and decided to look on the local Craigslist to look at bikes and look what pops up for $240. My wife is teaching a class so I couldn't bother her. :roll: Think I did the only thing I could do and just bought it. :shock:

Some help from the GT experts would be appreciated. Model of STS? Year? Seat tube diameter? Gt STS 001.JPG

Last edited:
Re:

You got a good deal. I think I saw just the frame sell for $500 on ebay recently. It might be a '96 or '97. I think that GT's sometimes have the date stamped on the dropout.

Re: My wife is going to kill me.

Very nice ;) Got myself a 1997 STS 1 recently and almost finished getting it as I want. First proper ride on it planned for tomorrow.

If you need decals for it member gil_m sorted me out with a fantastic decal set!

Re:

I think you are correct that it's a 97. Here is a Pic of the BB. After doing a little cleaning and inspection of the frame I am amazed at the amount of CNC work and quality of this bike. Gt STS 010.JPG

Last edited:

Based on the rear shock I'd say an sts-2. Seat post should be 27.0, it is on mine.

You won't regret your purchase, first proper ride of my STS today was cold, muddy and fantastic!!! A little bit of front brake rub due to slight fork flex and chain suck on the shift down to the granny but hey I can sort those.

Looking forward to your build

You still alive ?
P1040595.jpg

This is mine , cost significantly more than 200 bucks
Makes a good " all mountian " or whatever this weeks fad name is
Just get it built and ride it ,mas wende cragg said , it's just a blast
Mike

Latest posts

Back