1997 GT STS

Re: My wife is going to kill me.

Thats the spirit! Wife away and start buying! Nice bike, i like these old GT bikes!

A little progress.
Added Manitou TPC front SUS
Weyless stem
Advanced Carbon Technology handle bars.
and a little Flitz metal pollish.

The GABA bike swap in Tucson is a tradition for me. It's this weekend and can't wait to get some more goodies :D GT STS 005.JPG GT STS 002.JPG GT STS 007.JPG GT STS 013.JPG GT STS 008.JPG

Last edited:

The Bike swap was amazing as usual. Found some good stuff worthy of the GT. Bike swap 005.JPG

Last edited:

Where there any differences between the STS-1 and STS-2 frames in '97? I think it was only the shock (coupe deluxe vs. deluxe) and the parts (XTR vs. XT-LX-mix).

Nice catch and a bargain. I bought my '96 LTS Thermoplast for 500€ (frame only) in 2004...

Re:

This is my first GT so I am not an expert but mine came equiped with XT. The index shifters were trashed so I had to replace. Picked up these XTR parts for under $100 in mint condition.

Re: My wife is going to kill me.(looking for opinions page 2)

I can't seem to make up my mind. I was going through the garage looking for spare parts and came across this Marzocchi Bomber with adjustable travel. I bought it a few years back when I was building my 1990 Merlin. What i was thinking at the time was to have a ridged fork and a SUS fork for quick change outs. So I installed it on the Merlin and decided I did'nt like the look and it has sat in the garage ever since. With that said, here is the delimma. The Marzocchi has a 1" steerer so I would have to use shims if I decided to use it. I am looking for opinions on if I should keep the Manitou or use the Bomber?

Attachments

• Marzocchi 002.JPG
    Marzocchi 002.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 780
Re: 1997 GT STS (looking for opinions on forks page 2)

They never feel right shimmed in my opinion , the manitou would be period correct and in in good fettle are a really good fork , tho the anodising on the stanchions wears and they then stiffen up
Get some triple clamps on it

Mike

Re: 1997 GT STS (looking for opinions on forks page 2)

To complete the dream set up you need a pair of Spin thermo plastic wheels and a set of Judy SLs

GT-sts1retro_old97_cl.jpg

Back