1994 Gamaparts GPX Sport folding bike (re-badged Dahon Mountain Classic)

Titiritero

Retro Guru
Nothing exciting and actually quite low end, but given its rarity, I thought it would be worth documenting. I have only seen 2 other bikes like this in all of the internet, both classifieds on a Swiss website.
DSC01189.JPG DSC01194.JPG
I bought it recently locally (Würzburg, Germany) as I was looking for a full size folder since we have no car and travel everywhere by train or bike. From what I have found this bike was sold in the mid-90's as a "camping bike" in Switzerland, that is, as a bike to fold and load into your caravan or motorhome in your summer holidays. Gamaparts, the brand, seems to be doing alloy wheels for cars now, but the bike, given a disclaimer sticker in the frame, might have been made by Dahon.
DSC01197.JPG DSC01200.JPG
The folding mechanism and overall design is very similar to my wife's 2008 Dahon Cadenza, which would confirm Dahon's involvement. The Swiss origins of the bike were confirmed by the seller, who got the bike from his in-laws in Switzerland (and given the rust and lack of use, he just dumped it in his garage since then).
DSC01208.JPG DSC01209.JPG
Bike has nothing special, a low end Alivio from the time, single wall no-name wheels and cheap cantilever brakes. But the folding system is very clever. Frame folds in half in 2 positions, which leaves the bike in a not very compact size, but good enough to fit in the boot of most cars or just travel for free on trains. The ride, at least for the little I have used it so far, seems to be unaffected by the fold, which might make it a great tourer where a multimodal option is needed.
DSC01201.JPG DSC01210.JPG
The handlebar folds into one side by having a stem that folds in itself. The top part screws into a "normal" stem below, but with a hinge held by another hex bolt, it folds nearly parallel to the frame.
DSC01193.JPG DSC01203.JPG

Finally, the pedals were supposed to be removed using some big plastic rings with the shape of the axle pedal that you were supposed to be able to screw/unscrew by hand. Given the amount of rust and neglect, I doubt I'll be able to remove them without breaking the plastic. By the way, any tips on a cheap and easy way to remove the rust from the bolts? Internet seems to recommend leaving them in apple vinegar overnight.
DSC01205.JPG
The frame also has a metal bracket at the bottom to protect the bike when standing while folded (very similar to the Dahon Cadenza).
DSC01206.JPG DSC01212.JPG DSC02327.JPG

It doesn't feel heavier than a similar not foldable bike, so I'd say around 13-14kg. It is designed for the occasional fold, not the regular commute...

It looks quite well put together with some nice details. That bracket under the bb is a nice touch, but might give a few clearance issues. Such as, when hopping up a kerb say.

Quick update on this bike. It is a re-badged Dahon Mountain Classic, a folding MTB Dahon made in the 90s, mostly sold in East Asia. I had problems to find info because they barely made it to Europe, but there are quite a few sites in Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia talking about them. Here a nice example

The bike cleaned up well, and I managed to find a cheap donor bike with late 80s Deore and XT v-brakes so that's what is using now.

IMG_20240409_132311.jpg

I'm very happy with it, and it's performing great in what I wanted it for. Multi modal touring where a bit of train travel is involved. Here is in our recent Easter break camping tour with the kids

DSC01515.JPG

A catalogue from 1991 if someone wants more info... The model suffered alterations during its life, here it has a rear triangle copied from GT designs.

Back