1996 GT Zaskar

Canuckbiker

BoTM Winner
Brodie Fan
Back in 2019 a very generous friend gifted me his 96 Zaskar. I had just gotten into restoring 90s MTBs about then (apart from wrenching bikes for many years and restoring all types of bikes for fun). After showing my friend pictures of my projects he offered me his Zaskar for free.

He had built it up from the frame BITD, I’m not totally sure if it’s an LE but elected to use the pictured decal set and leave the “LE” in. The Race Face Turbines are interesting, the non drive side arm has no additional machining of the sides to remove weight while the drive side does. I think he knew someone at Race Face that hooked him up and maybe got a deal.

He’d put on a longish travel Bomber on with 20mm through axle. I completed a rebuild on the Bomber and used the Zaskar that way for a while with the shorty stem but eventually decided to give it a Judy to bring the front end down where is should be and added the KORE stem. The Judy was rebuild with Steed springs and I’m really happy with the result.

It's been in a few incarnations but I think it will stay the way it is now. Some may feel it should have V brakes but I like cantilevers and just happened to have some M900s to use. I also wanted to use the Cannondale branded Dia-Compe SS5-MKII levers on one of my bikes so on they went. The front wheel came off an inexpensive FB bike purchase, both wheels were rattle-can painted blue in their entirety when I pulled them off. Removing the blue paint revealed Ringle hubs and Mavic M231 rims. I made the Ringle decal with my vinyl cutter and swapped the bearings out of the front wheel. The rear wheel from the same bike has a freewheel style Ringle rear hub which unfortunately has had one section with the flange broken from a chain bind I would guess. I completed a rim transfer of the rear wheel M231 rim to the LX hub I was using on the Zaskar so I could at least have matching rims. Some M737 derailleurs paired to M735 thumbies.

It is a very sweet handling bike. It’s the only vintage MTB in my stable with front suspension. Nice to have a GT in my collection.

Here's how I received the bike initially:
GT Zaskar 01.jpg

Picture of the Ringle hub with my homemade decal:
20211017_190036137_iOS.jpg

Current build:
20220412_012816453_iOS.jpg
20220412_012826564_iOS.jpg
20220412_012854457_iOS.jpg
20220412_012904745_iOS.jpg

Good job mate… much better without the bombers as they did jack it up far too much imo.
A very generous friend you have there and a great rebuild to bring it back to where it should be.
👍

I've made a few changes since the last post...

Previous less recent changes: M950 FD/RD, Black Ritchey handlebar, Flite Alpes saddle

More recent changes:

I’ve been swapping out from black walls to tan walls on most of my bikes lately, I just like the look better. Been on the hunt for a pair that would suit my Zaskar.

I have to say these 96-97 era Specialized Team Master/Control are some of the nicer tires I’ve picked up. Not the lightest but they are folding, I think the quality is outstanding. Due to their age the logos are a bit faded but they have seen very little use. I’d run these over modern Smoke/Darts any day, love the roundish profile of the aggressive knobbies.

I had a need to move the M900 canties to another build and opted for black calipers (XT M734). I think they look much better with all that silver going on than silver calipers. Why not XTR V brakes? I’m just more of a cantie guy I guess.

Also note the wheel change, another bike needed it’s wheels more and I’m quite happy with the silver rims/back spokes now used

Oh and why not throw on some M737 SPDs for good measure? :cool:

Finished! (for now) 😁

GT Zaskar 05.jpg
GT Zaskar 06.jpg
GT Zaskar 07.jpg
GT Zaskar 08.jpg
GT Zaskar 09.jpg
GT Zaskar 10.jpg
GT Zaskar 11.jpg

Looks great, the tyres look much better than the all black ones 👍. After having a good look at the pictures though… I feel the need to polish mine again 😂.

Back