1995 Kona Explosif

Mortonm

Kona Fan
I just picked this up yesterday, the frame (19") is actually in really good shape, the only major damage is unforunately cable rub on the head tube!

It was done in a resto mod fashion with a 3x9 system and sram x9 rear mech and x0 grip shifters (the horror!).

It also has some Kona DH riser bars and a really thin specialized stem. All of this will be doing, same with the ritchey logic cantis.

I have some nearly new XT M739 lever/shifter combo pods and a essentially new XT M739 crankset to go on. XT M739 rear erailleur as well as some Sun wheels with M739 hubs.

Unsure what to do with the forks, this particular model came with a project 2 from the start so I am on the look out for one.

20200804-190621.jpg

20200804-190628.jpg

I believe there isnt anything special about the Bomber Z5 forks that are on there? The two reds are certainly not eye pleasing. Its significantly newer than the frame (early 2000s) with the combo disc and rim brake bosses.

20200804-190634.jpg

20200804-191117.jpg

I have already removed the entire cockpit and pitting a syncros stem and handlebar, Just need to get some cables.

As for brakes I will be using some Derore V brakes for now that came off my Kilauea until something nicer comes along, though these work quite well.

20200804-211906.jpg

Re:

Nice bike! That’s my dream frame, and in the right size too! You’re a lucky man, I’ll be watching to see how this turns out? I’ll keep searching till I find one. Oh and I agree, the forks need to go, p2s will look much better.

J

Re: Re:

JRGSXR":28dgi6z9 said:
Nice bike! That’s my dream frame, and in the right size too! You’re a lucky man, I’ll be watching to see how this turns out? I’ll keep searching till I find one. Oh and I agree, the forks need to go, p2s will look much better.

J

Right? The red is so garish and it just looks too chunky.

Not sure how easy it will be to track down some P2 TB forks, would be nice to find some in the bronze colour that would nearly match the decals

Mikey08":oqzthv56 said:
Some white forks to match the seat would look sweet. Cool bike man, love Kona's :cool:

Not sure if I am keeping the seat, it was just on the bike when I bought it, ill have to see how it rides

Mortonm":1hjuesb6 said:
Not sure how easy it will be to track down some P2 TB forks, would be nice to find some in the bronze colour that would nearly match the decals
Some for sale here not sure if they're still available or exactly what you're looking for! HERE
G

Graham_hkr":trbonytx said:
Mortonm":trbonytx said:
Some for sale here not sure if they're still available or exactly what you're looking for! HERE
G

Thank you, unfortunately those are threaded, and I need threadless. Cheers

Re:

I have these really quite odd, no name aluminium forks if they're any good. Only thing is they're only about 400mm dropout to crown.

If you're selling the Ritchey cantis I'm interested. Been after some for a while.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,052

RD-Dan":3qulm9ed said:
I have these really quite odd, no name aluminium forks if they're any good. Only thing is they're only about 400mm dropout to crown.

If you're selling the Ritchey cantis I'm interested. Been after some for a while.

I might actually consider selling them, I have the Kona branded levers as well

just gotta think about it for a bit as I just got the bike yesterday, so my garage is a bit of a disaster area swapping parts around beween 3 different bikes haha

Re:

my garage is a bit of a disaster area swapping parts around beween 3 different bikes

I've been slowly paring my collection of two wheeled contraptions down this year. Some of them I've owned a long, long time. Currently I have 7 cycles of various types and 7 motorbikes. It used to be a hell of a lot more. And I live in a tiny two bedroom house. Big shed though...

Back