1995 Gazelle Titanium Pro ATB

Re:

It has arrived.. (thanks, AntoineV)!

p5pb17533868.jpg

Let the building continue :D

Re:

Had a nice weekend: visited my parents in-law, played with the kids, went out for a drink and spent some time in the man cave.
So.. my Gazelle Ti build is nearing completion:

p5pb17558712.jpg

Due to the narrow arch of the wishbone, setting up the Magura's was not so easy (actually I'm still not 100% happy with the current setup), but I got them on and working.
Cabled the mechs: LX front and XT rear. The latter looks a bit strange at the washer that is between the frame and the mech, but upon installation, it functioned quite quickly, also in combination with the GripShift.
Funny thing is that the front mech moves to the big ring a click or two before reaching the '3' on the shifter. Not sure if that is how it's supposed to be; I'm still learning :)
And I have to look up the thread on here that discusses whether the number indicators on the Moby should be front or back :LOL:

Let's see if I can finetune during the week and perhaps take it out for a first spin next weekend!

Re:

Just returned from a quick spin around the block to see if all bolts are tightened.. :)

p5pb17569241.jpg

Frame: 1995 Gazelle Titanium Pro

Fork: Manitou M3 w/ yellow coil springs

Headset: Chris King black sotto voce (1 1/8")
Stem: Ringle Zooka
Handlebar: Answer Hyperlite
Grips: GripShift
Barends: Onza

Brakes: Magura HS33 Quicksilver
Brake Pads: Magura
Brake Cables: Magura
Brake Levers: Magura

Shifters: GripShift Centera
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX m563
Rear Derailleur: Shumano Deore XT m739 -->XTR m910
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT cs-m737
Chain: Shimano HG
Cranks: Grafton Joystix
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano SG --> REAL rings
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Shimano Deore XT pd-m737

Hub Skewers: Ringle Twisters
Rims: Mavic 117 SUP CD
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT m738/9
Nipples: Unbranded
Spokes: Unbranded
Tyres: Onza Porcupine re-issues
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Avocet O2 AirGel 50R
Seatpost: Ringle MobyDeuce 27.0 (w/ shim)
Seatpost Binder: Unbranded

Weight: Haven't checked yet..

Bike feels nice overall, forks with this set of elastomers are quite useless: these are waaaay to soft (and I ain't that heavy :D ), so I'll be installing the yellow coils asap.
Always struggling to prevent cranks touching the cage of the front mech while on the big ring; it's a bit frustrating that I wasn't able to retrieve the BB in the process. Might have to call in help at my LBS to ensure that the correct BB is installed..

Planning to take it out for a more serious spin soon, so stay tuned for a more extensive, visually supported, ride report.

Thanks for watching and feel free to comment..!

Re:

Y'all have been fairly quiet.. Speechless? In awe?
No love for (British racing?) green and turquoise?

:D

Anyway, took the Gazelle out for an early morning ride today.
The verdict: this machine is perfectly suited for the terrain I like to ride.

p5pb17588940.jpg

Agile uphill and sufficiently comfortable going downhill, at least at my non-kamikaze speeds. Loads of control with the wide, almost modern standard ;), uncut Hyperlites. I'm liking the GripShift and the Avocet saddle (although the lettering is peeling off already..) and you -obviously- can't go wrong with Magura.
Those Porcs dig up a lot of dirt and rocks from the currently dry soil, so everything is covered with a nice layer of dust. Leaves me something to do this afternoon :)

p5pb17588941.jpg

Happy Sunday :cool:

I'm glad it goes as nice as it looks because it certainly looks good.
Did you change the bottom bracket?

Jamie

Re:

Thanks!

No, the BB is still in there.. Not so much that it is stuck, but I need more leverage to get it out. For now, it functions.

Forgot to mention that the M3's are really nice with the springs instead of the elastomers!
As said, good suspension for my riding at the moment, preferably uphill, but it is nice to get some support on the rooty descents so my arms/elbows don't have to take all the hits.

:D

Re:

I think you have the front mech cable wrong. It's hard to explain since english is not my first language... The cable should run on the outside of the threads on the allen bolt on the derailleur (when tightened under the said allen bolt).

Now you have the cable tightened on the inside of the allen bolt and this has an effect on the leverage ratio (and the amount of movement) of the front mech. This would explain why the derailleur moves too much.

Inside=closer to the frame.
Outside= further from the frame

Hope this makes sense...

Re:

Well spotted!
And it definitely makes sense: that could indeed be the cause of the strange behaving front mech-GripShifter combination.
Should even be easy to resolve too: I'll get right to it (soon..) to ensure that it functions smoothly this weekend while (hopefully) cruising down the trails I used to ride a decade ago :D. Looking forward to that!
Cheers.

Re:

Took a trip down Memory Bike Paths today :D
Lovely weather, so hopped on the train to my place of birth to ride around some of the trails I used to ride back in the day. When there were no kids yet. And I was still physically fit ;).

Coincidently, even a retro train (for which I also have a soft spot..) awaited me at the railway station :)
p5pb17651634.jpg

Upon arrival it was off to the trails!
p5pb17651635.jpg

It struck me how busy it was. Normally, I go out earlier, so that probably explains the difference. It was great to see that I still remembered most of the route, but got surprised by a nice new part that was added after the last time I visited, as well as by the lovely flowering purple heather :cool:!

After finishing a lap, it was off to my former training grounds that run across a former landfill and is now the highest spot in the area (the 'Top of the Province') at +60m above sea level :LOL: .
p5pb17651638.jpg

A nice rocky climb containing nine hairpins and then you can either take the long(er), or the fast, way down. Again, a lot of fellow (non-retro..) bikers out today (if you look closely, you can see some of them sitting on top of the Top..).
Enjoyed a couple of climbs, nowhere near as many as before, but that was also due to the warm weather ;).

Oh yeah, still got to get used to GripShift, also physically: got a blister on my thumb :). Should've brought gloves.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back