1994 Specialized S-Works FSR

Once A Hero

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I acquired this NOS frame here recently and it's moving closer to the front of the line to get built. I'm still collecting parts as I'm not sure which way to go with some elements, so I'll have multiple options in some cases. I've also contacted Specialized UK to see if they have an archivist who can tell me what the catalogue spec was - as the '94 S-Works catalogue appears to be illusive. Most of the spec is pretty straight forward and can be seen in some pics in the '95 S-Works catalogue, but it would be good to see/know the original spec.
I believe it's had a few owners on here (jjwood being the previous), and as it shows very few signs of having been built up before (perhaps never fully) I'm trying to find parts that will do it justice.
1994 FSR & FSX.JPG

Last edited:
Now, that is nice :cool:

Always wondered how these rode, should be smooth at the rear at least with the active design. Weren't they only made for a couple of years before changing design?

mk one":3b422rzf said:
Now, that is nice :cool:

Always wondered how these rode, should be smooth at the rear at least with the active design. Weren't they only made for a couple of years before changing design?

I’m no expert on the design, but I believe the design was used in ‘94 (as above), ‘95 saw the ‘Team’ version, and ‘96 saw an M2 version. It may have crept into ‘97 too, but the design had definitely changed by ‘98.

I just heard back from Specialized about the build spec...
Unfortunately they have very little information and they can’t give me a catalogue build spec, but instead said that the bike would have been built with 1994 Shimano XTR components - and sent me a link to the Shimano Archive here on Retrobike! :facepalm: I had hoped they would have old documents on file somewhere, but it appears not. :(

Re:

Pretty obvious for the build would be:
- Specialized titanium stem
- Specialized Team Edition handlebars
- Specialized Prolong saddle, in gray
- Specialized Autopilot Comp grips, in gray
- Specialized Umma Gumma tyres, for ex. Cannibal front, More Extreme rear
- Specialized titanium QRs
- Specialized Direct Drive Ti bottom bracket
- Specialized Direct Drive seatpost
- Specialized rims Z21?
so basically the best stuff from here: https://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekatalog ... ries94.pdf
Of course 1995 catalog could help you out as well: https://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekatalog ... orks95.pdf

and the rest XTR M900...

Re: Re:

Archangel:3rbbb9sk said:
Pretty obvious for the build would be:
and the rest XTR M900...

Yeah I think you aren’t far wrong - and from your list of Specialized components this is where I’m at:

- Specialized titanium stem - Got
- Specialized Team Edition handlebars - I have what looks to be the ‘Rock Bar’ with yellow Specialized writing. Other than weight not sure how the Team Bar differs visually?
- Specialized Prolong saddle, in gray - Got
- Specialized Autopilot Comp grips, in gray - I have grey S-Works grips, close enough!
- Specialized Umma Gumma tyres, for ex. Cannibal front, More Extreme rear - Got
- Specialized titanium QRs - Would need to find these
- Specialized Direct Drive Ti bottom bracket - Got one coming, not sure on spindle length though
- Specialized Direct Drive seatpost - Got
- Specialized rim Z-21? - Got

...and the rest XTR M900...this I’m not sure about.

There are few things that are making me question the choice of parts, primarily this pic (actually from the ‘95 S-Works catalogue), which has the team riders lined up on what look to be ‘94 bikes - both FSRs and hardtails - all with yellow decals, so I’d say not ‘95 models.
'95 S-Works Catalogue Pic 1.JPG '95 S-Works Catalogue Pic 2.JPG

Picking JMCs bike out of the several FSRs I can see, it looks to have:
• Gripshift
• Dia-Compe brake levers?
• Avid cantilevers
• Hugi hubs?
• Pro Control front tyre

So I think there is actually very little M900, probably just the mechs and chainset/running gear, and even then it’s feasible the chainset was an S-Works item...

The ‘95 catalogue does list a selection of build-kits (‘XTR Hot Rod’ kit with Grip Shift’, ‘XTR Plus Component kit with Grip Shift’, ‘XT Plus component kit with Grip Shift’) all with a non-brand exclusive variation of parts, but none of the ‘95 kits quite match the kit shown on above ‘94 bikes.

If only the ‘94 S-Works brochure was online!

Last edited:
Re:

Wheel choice, I currently have these to choose from, and I kind of feel none are 100% right;

XT M737/M738 on 32H Z-21 Pro rims. Correct rims, but could be higher spec hubs.
7490ED46-EEC8-4477-B74D-55D8B045DF4C.jpeg

M910 on 32H Mavic 217 rims. Pretty but hubs a year too new.
E89E715B-CD1D-4C22-A9A4-26D293A635AA.jpeg

M900 on 32H Mavic M231 & X517 rimes. Leading hub choice but mismatched rims.
C9519383-B46A-41EE-9D5F-01112514F87D.jpeg

Last edited:
That is not acceptable. Sell the frame to me and I will solve the puzzle :D

Re:

Brake options, I had planned to give this NOS set of OnZa H.O.s a try;
69D02D45-ECE4-4557-AF1C-0779754C90C4.jpeg

But then a set of Avids came up...
A4E80C9A-92EB-41D8-8B20-685326375573.jpeg

Last edited:
Back