1994 Marin Titanium FRS

cherrybomb":7slajzy0 said:
You need a black stem & bar now though. :D

Does look sweet. :cool:

I think that the addition of a black headset, grips and all the cables should balance things out in the stem and bars area, would be a shame not to use such a rare piece of Marin kit on the build.

Benandemu":19u01q5p said:
I'd love Black Topline cranks, but they're proving very hard to find...
yes a black cranks is must ;)

I like Marins FRS. Mine is no longer ridden but in my bike room it's the best eye candy for visitors :cool:

marinfrs91.jpg

I decided to sort the rear end of this last night. Things look a tad simpler than the fronts, so without the use of a manual, I took the plunge.

Start by pulling some more of the stanchion through the crown so that you can a get a decent grip on the blue adjuster knob. Unfortunately my adjusters had seized pretty badly, and needed heavy mechanical assistance to undo them. This was always going to cause further damage to the beautiful turquoise anodising too.

Undo the blue adjusters and pull out the elastomer skewers. Mine were in a terrible state, and took ages to scrape and polish back up to a useable standard.

These are the original elastomers, and they are very dry and hard. Luckily they've not melted and left the stickiest substance known to man everywhere. The internal adjuster (Black knob) has seized solid on both sides too.

So, just like the fronts, dismantle everything, clean it, and then rebuild using new elastomers and plenty of grease.

Although there is a specific kit to renew the rear of this frame, I'm not sure why the elastomers provided don't quite match in terms of length or width. Anyway, it's all I've got, and I'm certain they'll work!

Before we reinstall the skewers, we need to inspect the stanchion bush, dust seal, and circlip. Carefully lift up the outer plastic seal so it's out of the way.
Well, in true fashion on this build, the circlips had to have a Dremel on them to get them out. They'd actually rotted away that badly, they'd become part of the rubber dust seal. I managed to salvage them both, albeit slightly shorter than previously.

The rebound elastomers need extracting and replacing next. For this task I need a very long 6mm Allen key, or a series of extension bars on a 6mm Allen head socket. The socket needs to go all the way inside the stanchion and feel for its hole. This will remove the plastic rod and rebound elastomers by unscrewing it.

This came out of one side...

And this mess came out of the other...

New rebound elastomer installed, and the both sides screwed back in.

Once you've replaced what's worn so far, and fitted new outer seals if required, then turn attention to checking that all the rear triangle's pivot points are free and moveable. You have to drop the stanchions out of their crown for this. Guess what? All, yes ALL, of my pivots were bloody seized. Rather than opt to have the bushes pressed out and then new nylon washers back in, I thought I'd try the old WD40 as the nylon washers look really healthy. One whole hour of swinging each pivot back and forth whilst liberally dosing the joint with WD40 every 2 minutes seems to have freed them off enough to work with.

Once you're happy, pop the stanchions back into their crown, leaving an extra inch pulled through (this is the point where you'll need to add the new stanchion seals or bellows. Take each elastomer skewer and thread them back in. I actually added an extra elastomer each side because the ones provided just didn't seem happy. Once you've screwed them down, push the stanchion back down and tighten the bolts.

Everything seems to have worked.

Now, the next job is going to be awful, as I need to try and remove all the pitting and oxidisation on the alloy. After testing different methods in small places, I realised that wet 'n dry was the only way. Started off with medium course flexible foam backed paper, and worked through to fine grade. The end result isn't perfect, but much cleaner. Somehow, it offers a much better authenticity and patina for the finished bike. I used medium wire wool and WD40 to buff up the Titanium.

The most important part of all this? The suspension actually works!

Marin headset to go in next, then I might do bars, seat post, and brakes.

Not had much opportunity to crack on with this due to other more pressing commitments at the moment.
I noticed that the bearings in the front hubs are pretty knackered, so a strip and rebuild is on the cards. I've never stripped a set of White Industries hubs, so a quick look on their website confirmed how straight forward they are. I also started to polish them up after their years of dusty storage.

The front axle assembly can be seen exposed in the photo. I've ordered the new bearings, so will put them back together in a few days. The rear bearings need replacing too, so that'll go on the list for this week sometime, as well as a good polish up.

After the wet'n'dry approach to bringing the aluminium frame sections back to life was complete, it's now time for the Duraglit stage. The aluminium is badly pitted in places, and whilst I don't want the bike to be perfect, there is a limit on what's acceptable. I think the polishing of the hubs and alloy frame parts will add a lustre to the bike. I spent half an hour on the drive side chainstay and the bars.

Note the Marin headset...

I'm really enjoying this build because it's so involving, and time consuming, which gives a greater sense of reward. It actually felt like the bike was fighting me for a long while, and every hour spent was just dragging it back to life. It's had a lot of man hours invested so far, but the journey's end is in sight.

Great coverage man! Thanks for posting all this info I look forward to using it. Awesome bike also! Exciting to see such a rare bike come back.

loving the time, effort and dedication to restoring this to it's former glory. also that Marin ti stem/bar combo is sic!!!

Re:

This thread is like a 'how to do it yourself guide to manitou servicing' :LOL: its surprising though how decent and modern these old manitou forks feel with new elastomers, ive just done mine

Sean

Back