1994 Kona Kilauea

Thanks Adrian 👍
No it's not just you! I don't like it either 😂
I'm on the look out for a proper Kona one which are a lot smaller and neater looking. Saying that it will probably end up with a suspension fork at some point. 🙂

I used one of these cable stops on my lava dome too.
Have the velocity stem with the integrated stop, but the brake judder was so bad!
Seems there's maybe a specific angle to get the hanger / straddle cables set to, to eliminate this judder... Anyone got a link to an explanation of this?

What canti's are you using? I had these 987s on my Bonty Race with a headset mounted hanger, the judder was unbearable! Changed to a Shimano brake and it went. Also have Shimano on the Explosif with the stem routing and no judder. I think it could be to do with where the brake arm is on the boss. The Dia-compe is right at the end whereas the Shimano is at the back.

The arm is obviously very different, but the way the spring and tension is mounted and adjusted is the same as 987s. It puts the arm over the very end of the boss, rather than fully supported by it. It could be this coupled with the relatively long stretch of cable from the headset/stem that causes the unwanted vibration? It seems to disappear when you use a fork crown mounted cable stop.

Much better Ben ;) Love it :cool:

Thanks Adrian 👍 😁

Spec list:

Frame: 1994 Kona Kilauea, 16", Tange Prestige Concept. Copper black metallic paint

Fork: Kona Project 2 triple butted

Headset: Tange Falcon, 1 1/8" threaded, alloy, sealed cartridge bearings
Stem: Kona Velocity 100mm x 10º
Handlebar: HL alloy 580mm x 5º
Grips: ODI Attack
Barends:

Brakes: Dia-compe 987
Brake Pads: Dia-compe
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Dia-compe straddle hangers, Kona fork stop, Zero dog collar
Brake Levers: Dia-compe PC-11

Shifters: Suntour XC Expert
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M737
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M737
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT M737 11-28
Chain: Taya
Cranks: Sugino Impel 500
Crank Bolts: Allen bolt
Chainrings: Sugino Super Shifter 42/32/22
Chainring bolts: Sugino
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN-51 68x110mm
Pedals: Shimano Pd-m747

Hub Skewers: Shimano Deore XT
Rims: Mavic X221 32h
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT M737/738
Nipples: DT Swiss
Spokes: DT Swiss Competition
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke/Dart Classic 26x2.1"
Tubes: Bontrager

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo
Seatpost: Kalloy 27.0x400mm
Seatpost Binder: DKG QR

Weight: 24lb

Last edited:
Thanks @tjs129, while I'd love to take credit for the paint job, I can't! 😁
I sent it to Matt at The Powder Shack in Coalville, who did a fantastic job as usual. 👍

Back