1994 Kona Kilauea

I'm not sure a 4g saving makes the kilauea "extralight" :).

Doesn't matter - lovely looking frame, nice project and you were a bit low on bikes anyway weren't you?

😂 I'm not sure 4g makes a difference, also remembered that the Explosif has a layer of clear protective tape on the top tube which probably accounts for the 4g!
Yeah bit low on bikes, there's about room for 10 so 10 there will be! 😁 😂

no worries; I'm fine with all you said - and agree with you. :)

What I found interesting too is that even in the 94 Kona brochures not everywhere the Explosif is displayed or discribed have the fluted downtube - beside that the Europe spec. brochure showing an Explosif with Marz. fork, wether the US brochure showing an Explosif with Rock Shox fork :rolleyes:

@The Pedal Dancer The spiral headbadge is definitely cool. As for another bike, I believe the general rule is N+1!👍😁
@magas yes I noticed that, it's a Quadra as well which seems a bit odd?
The colours look very different as well, although that could just be down to lighting/photo editing. _20220502_092607.JPG _20220502_092532.JPG

Cranks arrived this morning.
I have decided to go with a typical Kona style spec on this, it won't be catalogue correct, but it won't be that far off either.
Sugino Impel. The arms are a bit tarnished so will get polished but the rings are in excellent condition. I'll probably fit some alloy chainring bolts and maybe some self extracting crankbolts. _20220516_125509.JPG

Interesting that the frames appear to be identical.
I too have a real soft spot for the spiral HT badge. I'll never get rid of my '94 lava dome and these days I'm a bit sad I had it resprayed.
Just need to find a '95 explosif in 20"... Wonder if they did anything similar the year later between Kilauea and Explosif.

@albash82 The 94 Explosif was the first bike I ever really lusted after, now I have one it's not going anywhere! 😁
Nice to hear you've kept your Lava Dome going all these years. 👍
For 95 the Explosif moved to Columbus tubing and the Kilauea stuck with Tange but who knows what they could have done. 😂 _20220516_225228.JPG _20220516_225143.JPG
Good luck with your search.

Back